Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: White Oven

It is called a Guillard oven. I agree this would be ideal. Bread isn't my thing but if it was this is what I would have built. There is a build online where a le panyol oven is built as a Guillard.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Master Builder

Okay that is the oven of my dreams!!! Screw the miniature I like that one. I like how you can add steam in that port. Pull that pot of water out then put that directional piece back in ...how cool.

My oven is good but if I want to step up bread then it's just not enough. I know my floor is a bit lacking in insulation 3.5 inches of vermiculite/ Portland but the rest has 4 inches of ceramic. I have thermocouples all over my oven so I know I have good heat saturation. I have preheated my oven the day before so that the oven can regulate over night then give it another firing the day of the bake. I have to be careful not to get the oven too hot else I'll be burning the bread if the average temp is 800 or so.

But if you think about it 18 lbs of dough at 75% hydration for easy math is 7.7 pounds of water that's almost a gallon of water pushed into the oven. Do that twice with two loads of bread... that eats up the stored energy in a hurry.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, that oven is pretty slick, never mind the bread..
Back to your bread, can you replace the oven floor so you have 4.5 inches rather than 2.25? In my oven I could roll the bricks and get 4.5 or put in splits and have 3 3/8 thick.

Chris
Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Journeyman

Have you seen this before?
Rocket Stove Design Base - Bread Ovens
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Master Builder

Chris, no can't do. I have 3.5 not 2.5 of insulation and the lower set of bricks are imbedded into the vermiculite. so on the floor I have one set of brick laying flat and the next set on edge. I have thought of separating the the vermiculite layer from the base layer and sliding the whole oven onto some insulation board on a new base.

The rocket stove is interesting. The plans are involved so I will dive into them later. Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Faith, I ran into a reference in "The Bread Bakers Apprentice" of Tim and Crystal Decker who have a bakery or two. Tim is said to, at the time of publishing, have the national record for consecutive bakes from a single firing, 16, in a wood fired oven.. Page 275 in my edition. He has a highly insulated Alan Scott style oven that he designed and built.
He'd be interesting person to talk to about your needs.

Chris

below is info gleaned from

http://www.noevalleyfarmersmarket.co...0/vendors.html

--

Bennett Valley Bread & Pastry
OWNERS: Tim and Crystal Decker
BAKERY: Our wholesale bakery is located in Santa Rosa, California.
BAKERY HISTORY: We’ve been bakers in Sonoma County for over 20 years. In 1999, we opened our own full-service retail bakery in Santa Rosa. Now we sell exclusively to wholesale clients and at farmers’ markets. As a wholesale business, we've found we can give our full attention to baking.
BAKERY SPECIALTY: Handcrafted rustic breads. We’re especially known for our cheese breads. We've won numerous gold medals at the Sonoma County Harvest Fair, including “Best of Show” for our Gorgonzola Walnut Bread. Tim is world renowned for brick-oven baking. He often speaks at conventions and conferences, such as the Brick Oven Baker’s Conference at the Marin Headland’s.
PHILOSOPHY: Our business is completely hands-on, using only the best ingredients. To ensure quality, we see the baking process through from start to finish.
BAKING PRACTICES: Not certified organic. Special Ingredients: All organic flours and always the highest-quality ingredients, including produce traded with farmers’ market vendors.
CONTACT INFORMATION: BVBread@comcast.net, 707-575-9345

Last edited by SCChris; 04-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.