Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Other Oven Types (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/)
-   -   Welcome to Alternative Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/welcome-alternative-oven-6197.html)

james 02-26-2009 04:54 PM

Welcome to Alternative Oven

Welcome to our newest FB Forum category. You can use this space to talk about other types of wood-fired ovens, including clay, adobe and cobb ovens, along with steel dome ovens and other more experimental ovens, including the beer keg oven.

I will look through the FB Forum and move a number of relevant threads to this category.

Enjoy!

James

Wiley 02-26-2009 05:32 PM

Re: Welcome to Alternative Oven

Good idea James!
As my thread evolved I more than once thought that "Introductions" was a strange category to be in.
Wiley

nordik 03-12-2009 06:18 PM

cheers james!

Les 03-12-2009 06:44 PM

Nordik,

I had my doubts - you nailed it! I'm thinking I just might drink a keg of beer to have a portable oven. :) Great job.

Les...

nordik 03-12-2009 07:13 PM

Thanks Les,

you had your doubts... you and I both!
i always thought it'd end up a wood fired patio heater instead.

to be able to drink the keg and make a oven out of it... win win situation!

thanks again.

Archena 08-29-2009 08:09 PM

I'm a bit late to the party (haven't been online at home in ages) but thanks! Love the new forum!

If I ever get my desktop fixed I probably have every old earthen oven thread bookmarked...

doughforthesoul 03-24-2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 51537)
Welcome to our newest FB Forum category. You can use this space to talk about other types of wood-fired ovens, including clay, adobe and cobb ovens, along with steel dome ovens and other more experimental ovens, including the beer keg oven.

I will look through the FB Forum and move a number of relevant threads to this category.

Enjoy!

James

Good Morning,
I'm not sure if this is how or where I should be asking this question but here it goes. I want to build a low dome oven 42" circle with a dome height of 16" and the arch opening of 10" high and 16" wide. These are interior measurements. Any advice? Would I still be able to bake and cook other food besides pizza without burning due to the low dome? Thanks Carol

doughforthesoul 03-24-2010 06:50 AM

Well as they say (LOOK DOWN) okay I figured out how to post (I THINK):eek:

Wiley 03-24-2010 09:29 AM

Carol,
I would consider going with a wider opening, 16 inches is on the small size especially at the end of any significant entry tunnel (for want of a better word, I'm using tunnel. I mean the transition area beneath the chimney from outside to actual inside the WFO) Being able to work and access the entire hearth area thru such a narrow opening will be more difficult if the tunnel is of any significant length.

Also depending upon what material you are building your WFO out of you may at some point need to make repairs to the interior of the dome. Unless you are a very petite person unaffected by claustophobia just getting inside would be difficult.

And 10 inches will be quite limiting in the height of a roaster that you will be able to easily place inside. I have a S.S. one that works well in my WFO. It easily fits a 14 pound turkey or a pork shoulder. I recently acquired a roaster that should easy accommodate a 20+ pound bird, however, I will have to remove and make a new handle for the top/lid as it is, it is too tall to fit inside my WFO. It might be worth while to measure the pots and roasters you are planning on using inside your WFO to see that they will easily fit.

Just some thoughts, hope they help,
Wiley

doughforthesoul 03-24-2010 11:10 AM

Thanks Willey,
What would you suggest for height and width of opening?:D
Also any thoughts on 16" dome being to high to fire quick and retain heat? This is all still a big learning curve for me but I'm getting there! By the way I will be using refractory cast, 2" thick. Is that thick enough plus 2, 1" layers of insulating blanket,
then 2-3" of perlite concrete.
Carol