Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Upright Drum Smoker-Kamado Hybrid

John and George make a great point about the firebricks stealing all of the heat at first and you will need to use more fuel. Another reason to not make it permanent feature of the UDS. That will hold true with anything you put in the UDS as a deflector, it will absorb heat as well.

You should find a food grade drum instead of trying to strip out a chemical use barrel. I have heard of guys doing the later, but it is a pain and wastes a lot of time.

I have a vault type smoker, Spicewine if you are familar with them. They have a steel pipe coming out of the back with a ball valve. It is in the cooking chamber about 2 feet above the firebox, has not rusted out nor shows signs of doing so. But I don't know what will happen getting closer to the fire.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My feeling is that the mass that steals the heat will help to maintain even temps later in the cooking. If the duration of the cooking is long enough then a case could be made that the amount of heat taken up isn't a bad thing just part of the calories paid to cook. If you used vermicrete or some such as an insulator you could line the chamber with firebrick, not fulls but the thin 1.25 by 4.5 by 9 inch versions. It would steal heat but give it back in the end and if you want to go hot it's not a problem to do so.

My experience is that in most cases if you want something that has great flexability you pay for something that's not as good at a specific task. Our standard igloo style ovens are great for pizza but not as good at bread as dedicated specific task bread oven. Even within the forum some choose to lower the celing to taylor the oven to pizza rather than a more generic dome that cooks pizza almost as well.

Anyway it's all about what you envision you're going to be doing most, building to embrace this style, and then living with how this might compromise the other types of cooking.

Chris
Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Serf

I actually have a local supplier of both new and refinished drums, so I will definatley not be going wiht a chemical drum.

I think I am definately going to go with some firebrick, probably just for the firebox. I am hoping that will be a good balance between evening out the temps and the extra startup time.

Roobqn, as to the pipe on your smoker, what is the pipe made of, what is the ball valve made of and what size is the pipe? Do you have any thoughts as to why it is above the firebox vs below it? How big is the smoker itself?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,
Forgive me here, I don't have much background with regard to smokers. Why are ball valves used rather than dampers? I know for my water system I want a ball valve rather than a gate valve, it use to be a huge price difference but not anymore.

Just curious.

SCChris
Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Serf

Ball valves are quite accurate and precise and they give a perfect seal when you are ready to smoulder your fire. They should also hold up extremly well, theoretically. I have seen quite a few smokers that use them. I am still unsure as to how much heat will actually transfer out to the valve. Also, I am still unsure as to the best materials. I am thinking about 1 1/2 inch pipe and valve. That seems to be what viking/stumps use. I gotta think that would be enough under normal (non-powered) draft. I know it is plenty for an induced draft if I add the bbq guru. I found a brass (or bronze; cant't remember) valve with stainless ball, that claims to have high temp packing on the stem and I think is supposed to be good to about 450F. Probably designed for steem systems. I think I will go with that for the valve. Still not sure about the pipe going in.

Chris
Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I love way that ball valves have replaced gate valves all over in water systems, I just wouldn't have guessed that they're an advantage used in this role. So these valves are placed on the air supply of the combustion chamber? If so then heat resistance might not be an issue, or might not have to be an issue. I guess it would just depend on the proximity to the fire.

Best to you and your cooking.

Sincerly

SCChris
Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Serf

Yeah, when I do any kind of plumbing or if I am having any done, I demand ball valves. In regard to the smokers I certainly do not claim to be an expert, but they seem pretty popular and I know sever of the comercial smokers do use them. Additionally, some seem to use butterflies in the smokestack. I have not decided yet what I am doing about a damper for the stack. If I don't use force incuction, I will want to keep the stack wide open, but with the froce induction design, you ussualy want to restrict the stack as well.

Chris
Old 08-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Master Builder

The ball valves are usually located below the coal grate level so heat is not an issue for the most part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmessin1 View Post

Roobqn, as to the pipe on your smoker, what is the pipe made of, what is the ball valve made of and what size is the pipe? Do you have any thoughts as to why it is above the firebox vs below it? How big is the smoker itself?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

The pipe is above the firbox because it is actually used to drain the water 8 gallon water pan. I believe the pipe is regular black pipe, but it is painted. No idea what the valve is actually made of. Here is a picture of it.

The size of the cooker is 48" high, w2" wide, and 37" tall. It as 4 cooking racks that are 25"x34". Don't know if it is ok to post links to outside links so I will just tell you to google Spicewine Ironworks. They have several different sizes and I have the Large mounted on our trailer.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very pretty! The chrome stacks with the gate valves and fire engine red. very very cool. It kinda looks like a converted Jobbox. Hmmm?

Chris