Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Time to build my bread / pizza oven

The manufacturer is quoting 0.2% at 400C. But you correct I have got my arch calcs wrong, this would come in at 1.8mm. Clearly enough to break any ridged coupling.

Matthew

read about food, baking, wood fired oven building:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is actually pretty low expansion. There is quite a difference depending on composition.
https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bits...pdf?sequence=3
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the link David, useful research material.

Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Peasant

Made a start this evening on the exterior of the oven and have also tack welded the door hinges in place. Got a lot more work to do to make it functional and nice, but it is good to have made a start after a few days of not having any time.

Matthew

Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Peasant

Just finished this evenings work on the oven. The first bits of exterior walls are on. Looking forward to insulating and firing the oven this weekend ready for a bake in a couple of days.

Its not much of a looker, unless you like heavy engineering.

All the details as usual in a blog post here.

interested to hear you comments and suggestions

matthew

Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Peasant

Finally got to test the oven on my regular sourdough bake. Lots of work still to do on the oven, some refinements to do around the door area. Here is a picture from this morning bake, there are more on my blog here.

Matthew
david s and Mitchamus like this.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Peasant

Today I have been experimenting with improving the air flow for firing the oven with the addition of a firing door. This aims to optimise the door shape while burning wood in the oven.

Full discussion of why and how on my blog here.

thanks

Matthew

Old 03-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcove View Post
Today I have been experimenting with improving the air flow for firing the oven with the addition of a firing door. This aims to optimise the door shape while burning wood in the oven.

Full discussion of why and how on my blog here.

thanks

Matthew
The higher the temperature the greater the heat loss. This means that the temperature rise when starting the fire needs to be quite gentle or damage to the refractory can result. At the lower range of our firings (ambient to 300 C) it is important not to increase the rate of temperature rise too quickly because uneven expansion takes place and damage to refractory (bricks, mortar or castable) can be too much for the materials to withstand. It doesn't matter how good the quality of your refractory is, damage can still occur. At the higher end of our firings (500- 650 C) for surface temperatures at least there is also considerable increase in some materials expansion rates so this is also a danger zone. Using what some on this forum call a "blast door", or forced air induction with a fan or blower, to achieve a hotter fire is the equivalent of turning a kiln burner on full from start up. Not only does this damage the wares in the kiln, but can also damage the refractory. For these reasons I think a blast door is better left off if you want to be kind to your refractory.

Last edited by david s; 03-02-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Peasant

I'm no planning to force air into the oven, the firing door is designed prevent flames from coming out the door as this oven has a proportionally bigger door than is optimal for this design of oven. My firings have been on the hot side with the full door and I am looking for ways to keep the firing temperature down. What other things can I do to keep the temp down. reduce air flow, type of wood, size of wood?

thanks

Matthew

Old 03-03-2014, 02:14 AM
Master Builder

It is all about control Matthew. If your damper, however you configure that, allows you to slow the combustion process to the pace you want then you have nailed it. I use the blast door to get it started properly, not for long, and once it is all cranking I use the heavy insulated door to restrict the airflow and how you set that can mean either a very slow fire or something a bit more active.

Dave is right about rapid heating and slow and steady burns about the same amount of wood to achieve the same temps, it just takes a little longer. Nothing that starting a little earlier won't fix.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

Tags
barrel vault, bread oven, masonry, pizza oven build