Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 05:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Time to build my bread / pizza oven

The back wall is going to seperate from the arch; it is simple physics that the arch will expand more than the wall. Mine opens up a good 1/2-5/8" at full saturation. I planned for it by keying the wall into the arch and cutting the wall pretty tight when it is cold (less than 1/4"). By keying, I mean that I notched the wall brick so that they protruded half way into the arch and also had a lip on the outside. I did not mortar the joint or stuff it with anything, it is free to expand and contract and is still fireproof.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For kilns of this configuration it is recommended that the end walls be constructed to be under the vault rather than outside it, for the reason you mention TS. Would presume an oven is subject to the same problem, but to a lesser degree because the expansion is less as the temperatures and therefore the expansion is around half that of a kiln.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Peasant

As is is desirable for my bread baking to have a well sealed oven, able to retain steam, I would like to leave the expansion gap. but fill with compressible material, similar to that which they use of furnace doors. The expansion gap is also a route for smoke to impregnate my insulation with smoke, which i would also like to avoid. I could probably live with the moisture issue, but there have been cases of fires caused by soot build up in the insulation cavity.

Thanks

Matthew

read about food, baking, wood fired oven building:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Peasant

A little bit more work done on the oven today after not having any time for a couple of weeks. Time to experiment with the expansion gap / gasket at the rear wall/arch.

This may not be the last time I re-visit this bit of the oven design I think and I probably need to find a more substantial gasket material for this approach to work.

I have more details in the blog post here

Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The end brick need to be inside the arch, either in full or keyed.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Peasant

I have been trying to work out how the turtle rock oven get away without an expansion gap or keying.

It looks like the end wall is mortared to the arch, but I know that does not work on my oven. Maybe it because of the much thicker brickwork on there oven, but I cent see that preventing it breaking along this line. Maybe is does crack and they rely on the foil faced insulation to deal with any escaping hot gasses. Anyway, my oven is meant to be an experiment, to refine a design for a bigger oven. It would not be much of an experiment if I just followed the crowed and just did things the same as everyone else. So I will try this, but expect that it is not the final answer.

Matthew

Last edited by matthewcove; 02-16-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

With the heavy steel bracing holding the end walls in, you should be fine.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 AM
Peasant

Unfortunately the bracing only holds the side wall in. The position of the steel bracing is at the level of the soldier bricks, so the top of the rear wall where it meets the arch is 3-4 courses above the level of the steel strapping. With the real wall mortared to the arch, the rear wall failed just above the soldier bricks, but this was expected.

Matthew

Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Peasant

Just did a few simple calculations. The dome along its length at 800 C should expand by approx 0.4 mm and the dome height change due to expansion at the same temperature should be no more than 0.3mm. Anyone know any figures for level of elasticity of refractory mortar / brickwork?

Matthew

Old 02-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you are out by around 10 x. Your barrel arch (not a dome) is likely to expand around 4 mm. It will never reach 800 C maybe 400 C. From memory at 400C the expansion of refractory is around 0.5%

Last edited by david s; 02-17-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Tags
barrel vault, bread oven, masonry, pizza oven build