Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Time to build my bread / pizza oven

Lots of steps had to be completed this week before the weekend as I had promised to be making pizza for my daughters 1st birthday party. There was far more work to be done than expected, but somehow we got there with a couple of days to spare. Last night I could not resist doing a practice run, so we had pizza for dinner. I have written up all the steps done in detail with lots of great pictures in a blog post here.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kjRY0-HTWQ...0/_DSC0620.jpg

thanks

Matthew

read about food, baking, wood fired oven building:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 AM
Master Builder

Congratulations Mathew. I am sure that it will serve you well but I am unsure how it informs the forum unless exposure is an advantage for you. I have always looked on the forum as a place to exchange and learn.

Excuse me if I have misconstrued your motives. Feel free to 'correct' me if I have pegged you wrongly. I reserve the right to my NSHBWCO.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 AM
Peasant

Hi Steve,

My posting this project to a couple forums has resulted in much discussion, some fantastic suggestions and ideas have come from forum members that have helped me shape the design and solve many problems along the way. I have given a few members ideas that they have utilized in their own oven designs. The help I have received has been invaluable, I have even made friends, been invited to baking get-together with people with similar ovens so that we can continue to discuss oven design over a beer or two.

Putting all the details in a blog post and a summarised version on the forum enables me to take part in couple of forums without reworking every detail of the build each time. I have put a lot of effort into explaining every design decision in an attempt to 'exchange and learn'.

Matthew

Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 AM
Journeyman

looks great Matthew! just wondering why the angle iron frame! also, I think I like the barrel vault design vs the igloo shape, any difference that you know of in temperature retention or cooking properties? or why did you choose this design?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 AM
Peasant

Hi Joey,

This shape of oven is primarily for baking bread and pastries, you can also do pizza, but it not an ideal shape, because it is long and not wide it is difficalt to do more than one pizza at a time and its a big oven for that. The low vault means that the hot radiating brickwork is much closer to the top of the bread less variation in height over the whole oven, the bread should be evenly cooked with a consistent crust over the whole of the oven without the need for moving the breads during baking. The steel strapping is there to resist the outwould thrust of the low arch, ovens used to achieve this with very thick walls, but I wanted an oven that had walls no more than a brick width this and a hearth only a little thicker. The oven is designed to have just enough thermal mass so that you can use the oven curve to cook 4 loads of different types of bread on the cooling curve of the oven, maybe focaccia first, then baguettes, then boules etc. Followed by Pastry on the same day. An oven with more mass would take so long to cool down this would not be possible, but high mass is more suitable if you want to cook just bread every day in a production environment.

Thanks

Matthew

Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Re: Time to build my bread / pizza oven

that makes alot of sense. thanks!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just read your blog start to finish. Very nice, and I will try at least one of your recipes (the sausage pastry). I do have 2-1/2 questions: Why the cast refractory on top of the foamed glass, and why didn't you place the floor brick at the same thickness of the walls and run them at 45 degrees to the entry?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 AM
Peasant

By laying the hearth bricks streight rather than at 45 degrees I have avoided having to cut any of them, there would be no advantage to do this in a round oven. The cast refractory over the foamglas and the hearth bricks being the same thickness as the walls gives me the thickness of the hearth that I wanted and the foamglas is very brittle so I did not want to lay the hearth bricks directly on top of it. The hearth is about 40% thicker than the walls giving it more heat storage potential, the contact of bread dough on the hearth means that is looses heat energy more rapidly than the walls or vault, if it was the same thickness as the vault it would cool faster than the rest of the oven.

Matthew

Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Matthew,

Nice work, just read your build blog. I ended up rendering the foamglas on my build for the same reason, although waterproof and a good insulator it cannot handle too much abrasion or rough handling. Great looking items coming out of your oven.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Peasant

Did our first bread bake today in the oven to see how it was shaping up. only have a little temporary insulation on it so I was a bit unsure how things would turn out. A good learning experience and a lot of fun.

I have discussed in more detail on my blog post FireAndFocaccia - Food projects blog, wood fired ovens, baking, bread, recipes and eating out: Building a wood fired bread and pizza oven - first bread bake

The bit that lasted long enough to be photographed

Thanks

Matthew

Tags
barrel vault, bread oven, masonry, pizza oven build