Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

Wow!!! Very nice. I was wondering when you were going to start your oven. I just found your thread this morning. I know you have been planning your oven for some time now and it really paid off. You have a great design, and the ability to hold the heat with the thin walls is outstanding. The finished look of the oven is very clean and goes perfectly in your backyard.

Enjoy the pizza parties!!

Also what are you using for your door?

Brian
Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Apprentice

Brian, thank you for all the kind words. It went together at a decent pace, once I finally got moving. I have been using the oven quite frequently and the heat retaining performance never ceases to amaze me.

So what about the door?

Right now I am using a 3Ē thick hunk of insblock 19, which I know probably isnít the best/healthiest option. So far, I have cut the front part of the door out with left over metal, welded trowel handles to the front, and welded some bolts to the back. The intent is to sandwich a piece of insblock between metal and then band it with some thinner stuff. I ran out of argon and donít have any thin metal right now, so the whole door making process has been on hold.

What about you? Are you making a new door or staying with wood?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Apprentice

Kevin,
I will have a metal door of some kind but I haven't given much thought yet on how I will make the door with insulating properties that isn't too heavy. The wood doors that I have been using have been only for a temporary solution. I need to think of something here soon since my second (temporary) door is about to burn through.

Brian
Old 08-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Apprentice

Finally put a chimney cap on my oven. Believe it or not, it has only rained one time since I built my oven. Even that wasn't much to talk about, just a drizzle. Anyway, I welded the two "roofs" together, then welded a couple of pieces of square tube to it. Painted the underside, then welded the whole thing to my chimney stack. After all, I sprayed it with some more paint.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1325.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1326.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1321.jpg  
david s likes this.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Journeyman

Haven't checked in for some time.

That oven looks fantastic Kevin! Wow.

And judging by the bread pics, it's working great as well.

Bill
Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Kevin,
Now that you've finished do you wheel the thing around much, or is it pretty much a fixture?
Nice looking loaves by the way.
Dave
Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

kevin

Just found your thread. That is very cool/Hot.

Congrats.

Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Apprentice

Texman, Dave, and Bill, Thanks for the compliments. Dave, this oven is parked for the long haul. The wheels were quite necessary, because my designer likes to see how things looks in many different locations before settling on a final decision :-) Furthermore, since I don't have much design sense, I have to rely on her:-)

Last edited by okn; 08-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okn View Post
Texman, Dave, and Bill, Thanks for the compliments. Dave, this oven is parked for the long haul. The wheels were quite necessary, because my designer likes to see how things looks in many different locations before settling on a final decision :-) Furthermore, since I don't have much design sense, I have to rely on her:-)
That's what I thought. With heavy weight and those small wheels I wouldn't think you'd be rolling it around too often.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
That's what I thought. With heavy weight and those small wheels I wouldn't think you'd be rolling it around too often.
Gudday
Seems to be the way it goes with the mobile oven... They all seem to end up parked permanently.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door