Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

They do work, you just need the right ones which I have never seen at a retail level. The ones you need are called steel cuts. The self drilling section at the tip is longer and allows them to work on much thicker material.

As for the windscreen I wouldn't bother, I know I'm a bit late with the reply. My oven has a similar vent with what equates to a 6" windscreen. With a good gust it doesn't do anything to stop the wind from effecting the smoke.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Apprentice

Anybody have experience with grouting? I bought this non-sanded grout and was going to use it both on the mosaic tiles and the big ones on the roof, but the box says 1/8" spacing or less. The roof tiles are spaced at 1/4". Can I just add a bit of sand to the grout I have or am I better off just buying a bunch of grout that I won't be using? If I can add sand, what is the ratio. Many thanks.

As far as adding the wind screen, I am going to punt for now. It's an easy add down the road if it become an issue.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1015.jpg  

Last edited by okn; 03-24-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are going to use a non-sanded grout for joints larger than 1/8", you will need to add aggregate. A #4 sand or masonry sand will work fine, add it at around 2 to 1 to the mix.

If you have not already bought the grout, then you can make your own for about 1/4 the cost if it isn't colored.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Tom, just to be clear that is 2 parts sand to one part non-sand grout mixer, Right?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Apprentice

I've been moving the oven all around my patio area, and so good so far. Haven't seen any new cracks, but then again I wear glasses and canít see all that great anyway. Sheís a beast though, not easy to push with just one person (Iím a lightweight so maybe thatís the problem). Thatís not a bad thing as I wonít be rolling it around all the time anyway.

I finished tiling under the shelf last night and will begin grouting tomorrow.

Looking for some verification of the sand to non-sanded grout mixture if anybody knows.

Kevin
Old 03-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Apprentice

I ordered some caputo flour. Take a look at how it came. LOL ... wasn't my day.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1018.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1021.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Apprentice

I got half the grout on Yesterday (with the help of my assistant- see pic) and fired her up last night. Used the salvaged caputo flour to make 4 pizzas, but the oven wasn't hot enough when I started. Just seemed like it was taking along time to heat up. I started the fire at 4:PM and was hoping the dome would be cleared by 6:00, but it wasn't and we were hungry, so in they went. They still came out good, but not GREAT. Before I went to bed last night I welded the bars on the lower frame of the oven and stacked the wood on it. The oven is holding the heat well. She was around 650 F this morning. Cooked eggs at breakfast, roasted kohlrabi next, made a couple of batches of kale chips, then baked some bread! Still at 500 F!
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1035.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1043.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1045.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1044.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1033.jpg  

Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Apprentice

Last week I finally got the oven finished. All the grouting is done, which I thought was fairly easy (first time doing it). Moreover, I put the oven in, what I hope is, its final resting place for many years. There was a lot of trial and error and Egyptian Levering to get it on the pavers as shown in the pictures. This has been a great project that I'm glad is over so I can enjoy cooking. We had two pizza parties last week. I have to say, having a pizza oven is a serious entertainment tool. Last pictures are of a scrumptious raspberry dessert pizza, which was the last pizza at the last party.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1141.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1142.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1158.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1160.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1161.jpg  

Last edited by okn; 04-09-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Serf

I've really enjoyed following your build. Your oven looks great, and so does that raspberry pizza!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking great, outstanding build of the oven and raspberry pizza! Now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

:-)

Chris