Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

Looks like you're coming along great.

Bill

Last edited by WJW; 03-18-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Apprentice

Yesterday I welded the roof frame on. Today I started putting the cement board on. I used self tapping screws to secure the Hardie Board to the frame. Those screws are fairly impressive, I wasn't sure if they would make it through 1/4" steel, but they did. I got up three walls before it got too dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0996.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0997.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0998.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0999.jpg  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Master Builder

Very nice. Its coming along nicely.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Journeyman

This may be a record for the fastest and most efficient amateur builds. I have to admit I was skeptical as to the strength of the thin walls...but all that steel has me believing.

Bill
Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Apprentice

V-Wiz and Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have a design question for anybody reading. Do you think that a windscreen around the inside entry arch [only arch on my build] is necessary? I was considering a 4 or 8 wind screen. Those dimensions happen to be the size of metal I have on hand. I thought the 4 would give me a little more maneuverability inside the oven and still provide a little wind protection. The 8 on the other hand would provide more wind protection, but then again the oven is on wheels and I can easily turn the entire oven to get it out of the wind. The last option is to put nothing and just add it later if I need it. Im leaning toward the 4; any other thoughts out there?

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-oven-side.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Journeyman

As far as wind screen...I would think some wind screen would be of benefit. I think I'd go with the four inch too. You want to make sure you can get a tool in all areas.

Are you going to fill the roof void with perlite?

Bill
Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Apprentice

Bill, Not too big of a void left on top, but I will be filling it with all the perlite my very generous and gracious friend gave me
Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Master Builder

Do you feel the need for a wind screen? has it bugged you not having one ? If not i would say don't do it, or test it out some more then see how it performs.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Apprentice

I got all the Cement (Hardi) Board screwed on. That was a bigger job than I thought. I know I said before that those self tapping screws would go through 1/4" steel, but I guess I should have said they can make it through, however, not reliably. I ended up buying a new drill, because it was working my cordless drill so hard. New drill didn't really solve my problems either. I even tried drilling pilot hole with some HF drill bits. THEY ARE USELESS. Did I say USELESS? Probably worse the useless, because of all the wasted time in dealing with them. Only sheer determination and a whole pack of screws seemed to work.

Before I finished installing the cement board, I welded the landing on. That went on well.

Anyway, enough complaining here are the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0998.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1004.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1003.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1002.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1005.jpg  

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Apprentice

Saturday and Saturday evening I busted out the thin-set and tiles. I put big tiles on the roof and mosaic tiles on the walls. I wish everything was straight (not even close), it would have defiantly made my job easier. I'm no tile pro, as a matter of fact this is the first tile I have ever put down in my life. Those guys on YouTube sure make it look easy. Even with the myriad of mistakes I think it looks great! I love the colors! I was going to grout today, but then I see that I have to do something with the space under the landing. I guess more cement board and tile. So instead of doing that stuff, I think I will take a break and maybe fire her up tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1006.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1013.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1014.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1015.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_1016.jpg