Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Serf

Default Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

Gulf, thank you for those suggestions. It make sense to spread the load. To be honest, I'd rather build a permanent oven, but I cannot at my current location, and that is the only reason I want a portable oven. It gets me around easement restrictions or having to build the oven into the house itself.

I'll start my own thread when I'm ready to build. Meanwhile, I don't want to hijack okn's excellent and intriguing thread, which I hope to learn a lot from.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Apprentice

Well I got some caulking put around the inner arch (only arch for me), started building the pitch for the roof line, and finally got the smoke stack built and painted. I still need to build some type on cap for the smoke stack. Did another curing fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0952.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0954.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0955.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Apprentice

So today (Saturday) was pizza party day! I got the smoke stack welded on, bought a new propane flame throwing torch at harbor freight and let the good times roll! Got the fire going about 4:00 and started pizzas at about 5:30. Only used 1 of the grocery store 6 packs of wood for the whole night. Worked out well. My buddy was timing the pizzas from launch to recover and we were hitting the 80-90 seconds mark for the majority of pizzas. Made a total of 16 using King Arthur AP flour. Would have like to tried Caputo, but that darn Chefs Warehouse wouldn't answer their phone on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0958.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0962.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0963.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0966.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0973.jpg  

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Apprentice

Finished the night with strawberry and raspberry dessert pizzas. Crazy DELICIOUS!

Next on the agenda is weld the roof line on, weld some supporting member to the roof line, enclose everything with cement board, finish it off in tile, and then build a bottom shelf. Although my build has been fairly quick thus far, it's slower going than I would have hoped. That's just life... so let's make more pizza!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0981.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0982.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0983.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Apprentice

Got up, fed the kids, and just took a look inside the oven. 515 F! I put the door on at ~7:30 last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0985.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Master Builder

Awesome. Slowly coming along
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Apprentice

Lunch time. We put the residual heat to use. My Wife made a curry dish, and I made some pita bread. I forgot to mention the pizza turner I made yesterday. It has a 7.5" diameter blade, and a 5/8" square tube handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0987.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0992.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0993.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0995.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0988.jpg  

Old 03-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great pics Okn,
One of your pics reminds me of my Grandedaughter. She loves to help kneading the bread . Can I ask where did you get your oven thermometer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Apprentice

Gulf, Bought the oven thermometer on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

$7 delivered to my door My oldest in the picture is 5. She is a blessing and loves to help... that's why I haven't got much done lately, LOL.
Gulf likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okn View Post
Gulf, Bought the oven thermometer on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

$7 delivered to my door My oldest in the picture is 5. She is a blessing and loves to help... that's why I haven't got much done lately, LOL.
Thanks for the tip on the thermometer. My grandedaughter is 5. Sounds to me like you have your prorities in the right order . The oven will wait.