Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

On the third curing fire. I'm using a propane burner for this fire. Added about 5" of superwool insulation to the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0946.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0945.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Master Builder

good stuff. Keep it up, id like to see the performance of the oven once its all done.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Journeyman

Wow...I like it. That looks like it is pretty darn secure boxed inside of that angle iron and top cladding. (Nowhere for anything to go. ) The insulation looks great. I think that sucker is going to really work well.

Bill
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Okn, I'm also intrigued. On a related note, I spoke with Keith Guisto, who distributes Central Milling products out of Petaluma, and he built and used a bread oven on a trailer in San Fran many years ago. I also Spoke with Matt Guisto, a cousin, who works at Guisto's Vita-Grain, they mill most everything at their location in San Francisco and are available through US Foods with a resale card. Nice people with solid professions backgrounds with flour and grains along with the other goodies in their lines. I hope to be able to buy through my sister-in-law.

I met these folks at the Natural Products Expo West, in Anaheim and went focused Both Guisto's and Central Milling and ran into Bob's, King Arthur and One Degree Organic Foods.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 03-13-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Laborer

Another suggestion would be to consider using metal bands, like you see on heavy duty cardboard packaging to secure the oven to the stand. In order to avoid issues w/metal expansion, the bands would be placed on top of the ceramic fiber blanket that I assume you will use to insulate the barrel. I have a commercially built mobile oven that uses this method. I have hit some major bumps that I was sure would cause the dome to collapse. The dome remains standing. I am confident that the metal bands are part of the secret of the domes longevity and durability.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

Well I prayed to God and took the oven for a stroll today. Everything seems good, no further cracking. Tonight I brought her up to 400 F. My wife and I grabbed a glass of wine and enjoyed the fire. I am LOVING IT!
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0951.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Serf

okn, your rolling stand design looks very stout. I like the way you built the upper supporting structure to contain the oven. I will likely take some cues from your build when I start mine.

Do you know what the total weight will be once your oven is complete?

If you don't mind me asking, what gauge steel are you using? Looks like 11 gauge (1/8th inch wall thickness).
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Apprentice

Just check the oven this morning she's at 280 F! When I put her to bed last night she was at 380 F; I did use a piece of insulation as a door. LOVING IT!

Voon - Legs are 3" square 1/8" thick, Large angle (used for hearth base and top frame) is 1 3/4 x 3/16" thick, The small angle (used for bottom support and will use in the part of the smoke stack) is 1" x 1/4" thick. The 4" flat is 3/16" thick and I used some 8" flat that is 1/8" thick. I'll plan to build the smoke stack out of the 8" x 1/8" flat. As far as weight goes, I'll have about 350-400 lbs. metal, approximately 95 firebricks at about 7 lbs. each. Insulation is probably another 75 lbs. Then I will frame it in with cement board and then tile on that. So just guessing, I think I will be in the 1300-1500 lbs range when it is all finished. The casters I used were very cheap, but rates at 1000 lbs. a piece. Hope that helps for your guesstimation.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Serf

okn, thank you for the frame specs and weight estimate. That helps a lot. I have a light weight 2 inch thick concrete patio in the back that I want to situate my rolling oven on. I'm not sure what my patio can handle in terms of weight, but I don't want to have a disaster.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Voon,
A ridgid wheel (metal or hard plastic tread) will transfer a heck of a lot of weight to a very focused point. If you can place a pad (maybe an 8" X 8" X 1/4" steel) under each wheel, the weight will be transferred to a larger footprint. This will take some stress off of your thin concrete. If you plan on moving the oven, (as I assume you do since you are making it portable), you will need at least one runner for each wheel, which is made from the same thickness steel. Conscider the runner as a track. When moving, you will need to roll the oven from the pads to the track, to the pads etc. etc., keeping the full weight of the oven off of a focused point on your thin concrete patio.
It might work. But, a reinforced section of your patio, to your storage area would be better.

just sayin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.