Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

You did yourself a favor by bonding your arch bricks together, instead of doing rows of single arches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Apprentice

Default low dome [almost] square oven on wheels

Sounds like "(1/2-3/4") layer of refractory over the entire dome" it is.

Tom, I hope youíre talking about homebrew refractory, because that's my plan for tonight.

David, I have some wheels mounted. They are 3" metal, with a load capacity of 1000 lbs. each. Looked at the rubber wheels, but decided that because of long periods of inactivity they wood probably not be the best choice. If I were planning on moving it quite a bit, definitely would have sent the extra cash for them.

Bill, I'm not too worried about it falling or cracking. If it does I will just rebuild. The stand is beefy enough for much more weight (after I finish adding the diagonals) and firebrick is relatively cheap, so no worries there. Iím just slightly afraid that a brick will land in my pizza!

Kevin
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is the ticket.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Journeyman

Cool...looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

One thing I'm curious about and would love to hear others respond to...

Is it worth laying hardware cloth (or chicken wire) over the bricks along with the additional refractry to provide a reinforced skin?

Seems like it would provide a substantial amount of strength with very little downside???

Bill
david s likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Master Builder

I say congratulations, keep it up and move on. This thing took you one day to build? even if it were to collapse in the next year its still worth it. You can rebuild it again. lol.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Apprentice

Last Tuesday I took Tom's advice and added some extra mortar to the top. I covered it with one of those blue tarps for the next 3 days because the weather man predicted rain (he was right 1 out of three days). When I finally got back to work, the mortar showed a lot of cracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0903.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0904.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Apprentice

So I got back to work on Saturday, but as luck (and a one year old and a five year old) would have it, I didn't get much accomplished. I did get all the sides insulated and some of the reinforcing welded in.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0910.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0911.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0908.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Apprentice

On Sunday, I decided that the way I was going to mount the smoke stack and landing I wanted to brick in the front as bit. This is another would not do again thing, took me too long to cut those bricks and then they never stuck well. I only put them in there to keep the hot flue gases and possible fire from direct contact with the insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0912.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0913.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Apprentice

After messing with the arch, I welded the frame on top and the rest of the reinforcements. It was then Miller time, and I cooked a couple of pizzas in my home oven, hopefully for the last time.

As the night fell, I started my first curing fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0914.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0916.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0921.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0917.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Apprentice

Insulation test. I did a simple man on the street test. I took a piece of the insblock 19 and hit it with a torch for a few minutes. Got up around the 500 F range fairly quick. The other side, still about 70 F range. I LOVE IT!
Attached Thumbnails
Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0935.jpg   Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels-img_0937.jpg