Old 07-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tandoor/Tandoori Oven Users

Way cool sites, Bob! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Journeyman

Hi John,

You're welcome. Each time I visit a Tandoor oven site I learn a little more about their construction, material composition, and internal dimensions. These tidbits are gleaned little by little by digging through the product pages and links provided by the sellers. Here is one bit of information I learned today. Goat hair is often mixed with clay to make the cooking pot more durable. (mmmmmmm yummy). I'm not knocking the way they're made. The tandoor is an ancient cooking tool and one shared by many cultures in one form or another. Surely a wellhead of expertise was developed over the eons, so if goat hair is added because it increases the durability of a cooking tool then that is good enough for me.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Serf

Hey guys,
Sorry to necrothread this but I recently finished my Uruguayan Grill and people have decided I'm some sort of grill making dude.

Anyway, a good friend has asked me if I could build her a tandoor oven. looking around online the people who produce them charge a lot (though IMHO fair) for them. Digging further, and weighing my google queries to pre-existing/industry standard components, it appears that terracotta chimney pieces would do the job nicely.

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Journeyman

Hello Glass,

I suggest viewing YouTube to see how tandoors are made in places around the world. You will find lots of information there. Search variations of the spelling since "tandoor" is spelled differently in various countries.

Here is something to consider, anything that can be cooked in a tandoor can be made in your kitchen oven or outdoor kitchen. Lots of videos about that too. An acquaintance from India told me they sometimes use tandoors in the rural villages. At home in the city, they used a gas stove/oven. That was interesting but I bought a residential sized tandoor anyway and have been enjoying it. The casters on the bottom make it easy to move around the patio. One site I viewed recently had clay inserts and "economy" style tandoors in plain steel housings for much less than those in stainless "barrels" with wheels. If I was building an outdoor kitchen I'd go with an insert or economy model and brick it in place next to a work/prep area.

Best of luck with your projects.

Cheers