Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tandoor/Tandoori Oven Users

Spiceman,

Thanks for the advice. I plan to build a tandoor using firebricks and have a few questions for you. Is your 460x660 tandoor an average size for tandoors? If you were to change anything about it (ie: diameter at top/bottom, angle of inside contour, etc) would you? How large is the air hole at the bottom? How do you remove accumulated ashes from the tandoor?

I assume it is well insulated inside the stainless shell and has a 'lid'. I plan to fabricate a refractory lid that will allow me to cook roasts low and slow (228F). Is this advisable and when you cook your whole chickens do you employ a lid?

Thanks in advance. Some pis of your tandoor and especially the food that comes out of it would be a treat!

John
Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Journeyman

Hello spiceman,

Thank you for the valuable information about your experiences with your tandoor.

Thanks to John for his insightful questions too. I know he's keen on building a tandoor of his own design.

I've seen a tandoor advertised on eBay that has an insert for cooking/roasting. I wasn't sure of the opening size so it seemed like the pizzas would be small. There is nothing wrong with small pizzas, it's just that I am trying to gauge the size of the opening to give me an idea of what size tandoor is most useful for my home.

Thank you for your comments and please stay with us since we need expert opinions and knowledge. You've answered some of my questions already. I think maybe we need guidance on building a tandoor from locally available or purchased materials too.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Serf

Spiceman,
Is 460 mm the opening size or maximum diameter? 460 mm would be a larger opening than any I've come across, but somewhat small for the maximum diameter.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Serf

G’day All,

Not sure if I am an expert on tandoors, but I will try and answer your questions.

The 460X660 tandoor is quite a good family sized tandoor. I purchased my home tandoor and there is not much I would change about its design. The clay pot has a traditional concave design 280mm diameter at the top and bottom and about 360mm diameter in the middle. The vent door at the bottom is about 150 mm square. The ash is simply swept out through the bottom vent door (typically 1-2 cups of ash per cook).

The tandoor is constructed from an outer stainless steel skin and an inner clay pot, with glass wool insulation in between these two. It also has a stainless steel lid (gets hot but looks good). I usually cook with the lid on (keeping a gap for air flow or for the skewers to stick out).

I have a grill that drops into the tandoor and can cook large pieces of meat, whole chicken, duck etc inside the tandoor. The pizza kit also cooks great pizza. The pizza is lowered into the tandoor and sits about half way down inside. It only fits a 9 inch pizza, but they cook in about 5-7 minutes – so you can make quite a few different pizza in a short time. The high temps and dry heat from the charcoal get a real crispy base and well cooked toppings.

As for pictures, I have not got around to taking any yet. However, the website of the company I purchased the tandoor from (Tandoor Living) has a lot of pictures and a few videos. Not sure if it is the done thing to post the web site details here, but it is www.tandoorliving.com.au

Cheers
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Journeyman

G'day Spiceman,

Thank you for another fine post about your tandoor and for providing the dealer website information. I wrote the dealer an email and within minutes had answers about prices and shipping to the U.S.

My wife and I are looking at the various models and features. I think we are in agreement about the larger size oven. It will make a great addition to our outdoor cooking options. I can hear the conversation now...."Honey? Should I light up the BBQ, or wfo, or smoker or tandoor tonight"? Having these choices available is a blessing and makes our shared cooking experiences enjoyable.

The website is a goldmine of information about using and caring for a tandoor. The photos and videos are wonderful too. I was surprised at how little charcoal is needed and how quickly a tandoor will heat to cooking temperature. It's as easy as using a Weber and just as versatile, in its own way.

Cheers,

Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 AM
Serf

azpizzanut,

A US site...

Home page

I haven't explored it much yet as everytime I remember I'm at work and it's blocked for streaming video. It did check it once just to see prices of charcoal version and it seemed somewhat in line with other sites, but hopefully US shipping makes it overall cheaper. If I remember right they make the clay pots in the US, so hopefully the whole thing is made in and shipped from the US.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Serf

Hi Bob,

Glad the info might be of some use. Sounds like you have all the BBQ toys! You mentioned the smoker. I hope to try a smoke in the tandoor shortly. After a standard cook up, the tandoor stays quite hot for many hours (it has been too hot to touch more than 12 hours after I have finished cooking). So I plan on doing a slow cook using this residual heat overnight – also throwing in a few smoking wood chips to add some flavour. I think the tandoor might work well for such a smoky slow cook. Will let you know how it goes.

Just out of interest, how much was the quote for the tandoor delivered to the US. I had mine (the SS2 model) delivered by Tandoor Living here in Australia for just over AUD$900. Not a bad price I thought considering all the stainless steel components, clay pot and the accessories it comes with.

Cheers
Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Journeyman

Hi ebbro,

Thanks for the link. The design of the Homdoor oven is slightly different than those I've seen before. Very nice.

Cheers,

Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Journeyman

Hello Spiceman,

I think you can smoke some things in a tandoor if you want a little additional flavor. I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Something to keep in mind is that a dedicated smoker uses low heat in a enclosed environment. A tandoor is hot and dry. For example: a Green Egg style cooker circulates natural moisture from the foods being cooked due in part to its lid design. A "bullet style" drum smoker uses a pan of water or spiced liquid between the heat source and food. Amazingly, the foods cook perfectly in the hot, moist, environment of the drum. I bought my bullet style smoker/grill for $39 USD and make smoked meats just as good as you might expect from popular restaurants, delicious, moist and tender. A Green Egg will do the same for $1000.

The price quoted for the Puri SS2 Ultima tandoor is $1099 USD, which includes shipping.

Cheers,

Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Journeyman

Hello All,

Look what I found:Tandoor ovens and clay pots in the U.S. Go to Tandoor,Tandoori Clay Ovens, Barbecue, Tandoors Accessories, Skewers & Tandoori Clay Pots

Also look at Clay Oven | Tandoori Cooking | Tandoor - The Tandoori Clay Oven and click on the "instructions" for tips on cooking nann bread and seasoning the clay liner so the bread will stick to the sides of the oven. A simple salt solution is the answer.

Nishi Enterprise - Restaurant Equipment Kitchen Supplies Bar Supplies Catering Furniture has tandoor accessories in the U.S.

Cheers,