Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Swampys Refractory cast oven

Hey guys,
That price of $25 that kiwipyro is quoting was and old price in equivalent Australian dollars(AU$). Swampy have you got a price from shinagawa??. and which material are you getting?
Regards
Bart
Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Peasant

I payed a visit to shinagawa today and was informed that they no longer sell to the public and that placemakers huntly now sold their firebricks($6.45 each)and refractory cement($57 per 25kg bag).I cant remember the name of the concrete,castable something.I found a place down the road that sells fire bricks for $1.50 each.they are a little smaller and I think are made from fireclay and they have holes through them.dont know how good they are so I may stick to the shinagawa bricks.I think it may be cheaper to make the whole thing out of bricks now, but im still waiting on some price from another supplier.

this is the brick i picked up.

Last edited by Swampy; 09-09-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Laborer

Bugger... its a pitty they stopped. for my bulk load from invercargil I worked out i needed to spend about $3500+gst to get the stock and then hock it off to friends and family etc... a bit out of order for something to do the odd pizza and loaf in....
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

swampy,
That brick does not look like any firebrick that I've seen. Generally they are quite pale, usually yellow in colour. The red indicates the presence of iron, undesirable in fire bricks. All firebricks I've ever seen are solid, no holes. You want density not holes.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 AM

Yeah, that's some kind of house brick. I don't think that vendor is being straight with you, or he just doesn't know, either of which in less than ideal.

On the other hand, someone up top was asking about a business plan. Here's one; if you can sell ordinary bricks for a buck and a half on the bottom of the world, that's a better business than selling bridges.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Journeyman

Swampy, maybe its cheaper to import from Aus. We sell fire bricks for $3 each, and 1350c castable for $35/bag. Dunno what the freight is like, but sent 23t to a job on the south island recently and still beat shinagawa's prices. Some times companies think they have a captive market.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are pink, red, yellow, gray, and even black firebrick, but they are (with the exception of extremely specialized refractory applications) always solids, and usually dry pressed. That is an extruded wire cut face brick, a regular old brick used to veneer homes.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Peasant

Ok,thanks guys,I will give those bricks a miss.a guy is getting back to me today about some prices so hopefully sometime next week I can get into it.Sick of waiting.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Serf

Swampy, I picked up a ute load of second hand bricks from the Crowe Refractory in Wiri, Auckland, for about $3 each. Some were a bit too manky to be used, but still way cheaper than buying from Placemakers. They also have ceramic blanket and calicium silicate insulating board which I placed under my floor bricks.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Peasant

sweet.Got my local troweltrade depot looking into getting me refractory concrete and bricks from crow so I will ask them about the insulating board aswell.
Made my mould for the opening,just need afew more adjustments and the mould is done.