Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: steel liner question

I think the rule with the safety gear for handling the CF blanket material is the same as for the insulation itself. No such thing as too much! I did the whole lot. Disposable overalls, gloves, dust mask and eye goggles. The fibres are just so fine that they are airborne very easily. It is easy to work though if you have a sharp cutter.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: steel liner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovibond69 View Post
Thanks Dave,

I will take your advice and engage in a long slow burn. I may even do this before covering with the insulating blanket. If cracks develop, do you recommend skimming over them or using an outer metal mesh to hold everything in-place?

I was planning on covering the body with "chicken wire" and then covering with the blanket. Above that layer, a thin coat of perlcrete and then finishing with brick or stone of some kind?
Gudday
Take it then your not going to use that bigger drum as your final cover?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't really understand quite how you've done it. If you already have refractory between the two stainless shells then surely you wouldn't be able to see if any cracks develop. In any case the strength of the two shell would be sufficient so any cracking there wouldn't matter. I'd be more concerned about the extreme pressur that steam could create between the two shells. It could blow the whole thing apart.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Peasant

Hi Dave and Dave,
I wont be using the outer stainless barrel after all. After installing the ceramic insulation (4") and then applying the render (2" of perlcrete) - the width of the oven is beyond the what the larger barrel could offer. I will probably apply a stucco layer after firing the oven several times to dry it out.

I was thinking of layering with a finish of stone or tile - or just use the finish coat of stucco and then waterproof it.

Sorry - I didn't take photos of the insulation install. I had my hazmat suit on and didn't grab my phone. I placed four layers of the ceramic blanket over the oven and then held it down with chicken wire. I then covered with the render you see in the pic.

Almost done....
Attached Thumbnails
steel liner question-20130625_200350.jpg   steel liner question-20130625_193856.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 AM
Peasant

Here are two photos with the flues attached.

How many days should I wait before starting the cure fire(s)?

I had it covered last night and there was a ton of water collected on the underside of the tarp. It has been raining just about every day since I started this project - keeping this thing dry has been a real PITA!

Thanks all...
Attached Thumbnails
steel liner question-20130626_072255.jpg   steel liner question-20130626_072307.jpg  
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Sorry about the late reply. Afraid that oven will not be ready for qiute a while. You should really wait for that rain to stop and let the wind and sun dry out the mass of water you have in that pearlcrete layer for a few weeks. I know you will frustrated but there no use cracking you good works at this stage.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Peasant

OK, I fired the oven all day yesterday starting slow and building up the intensity over the course of many hours. Later that day (early evening) I threw a quick pizza together to test it.

This is the second pizza. The first one stuck to the peel and ripped the dough when going on. Looked like hell but tasted great....live and learn.

The smell and taste is just amazing! I am learning how to use this oven to get it to proper temps. It settled out last night with the floor being 625 - 575 degrees. My wood is very damp and I can see the benefits of having dry wood.

A few small cracks developed and a couple of lines shifted - but no big deal. It held together very well and I am pleased with its performance.
Attached Thumbnails
steel liner question-20130704_192420.jpg   steel liner question-20130704_181431.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Apprentice

Your oven is really looking great! I think you really rocked it, and did so with a very respectable timeline. Keep it up!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I never get tired of seeing first pizza shots. I can almost smell the woodsmoke and pizza cooking when I do! Well done on the oven it also looks good as well, though I suppose you will continue to tidy things up.
It's hard with wet wood but there are a couple of things that will help. Try to split any down to say an inch thick. Once you have the fire going stack your next load of wood in the entrance the radient heat will heat it and it will catch much quicker with less smoke. This method won't make things perfect your better off getting some dry wood if you can but will help
Again love your oven the twin pipes make it
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Peasant

Hello folks,

Ok, fourth firing. I'm learning how to use this oven and I am very happy with how it is performing. I can get it up to temp, clear walls, smokeless exhaust and a floor temp of 800 - 900 degrees in about an hour and a half.
I let it cool a bit and start at around 750 F.

Here are 9 of the latest - just finished up. Does it get much better than home made pizza and beer (eating and drinking anyway)!

You all know what it smells like in here right now....
Attached Thumbnails
steel liner question-20130725_175942.jpg   steel liner question-20130725_170421.jpg   steel liner question-20130725_171707.jpg   steel liner question-20130725_171536.jpg  

Tags
buckling liner, steel liners