Old 06-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: steel liner question

The flue hole is too small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The hole into the flue can be a little smaller than the area of the flue beyond it with out any problems. It will simply act like a Venturi and suck furiously at that point.if it is significantly smaller ( like 50% ) of the area it will start to choke it and you may start to have smoke issues.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 AM
Peasant

Great - thanks everyone for the feedback.

I calculated the minimum flue size based on a method I read on someones post. My entry way is 14" wide by 8.75" high (63%) which requires a vent hole minimum of 4" or possibly 2" round?. My vent is 4" x 2".

14" x 9" = 126"; 10% = 12.6; 12.6 divided by 3.14 (pizza pi) = 4"

After looking at these numbers again - I think I need to take another look at that calculation? Does this look right... last night I came up with a 2" round hole minimum base on my small oven size - now I'm not so sure...

I really do not want to cut away the bent and rounded corners of hand holes (flue holes) as this gives incredible structural strength to these pieces of stainless.

I plan on connecting the two flue holes by troweling refractory to create a chase way in-between the bottom and top flues. I was planning on bricking out the top (above the stainless hole) to open it up the flue interior and create some height (how much?) and then install some stainless pipe above that with a "flapper" through the middle to close off the vent if ever needed.

Are there recommendations as to how tall the stack should be to create the best draw? If I were to cut away 1" holes on either side of the rolled flue holes (without compromising the strength), leaving a small space in-between, would that change the air flow in a positive way... I know this is all speculation. Btw - I was originally going to build this without a flue but after reading more, I thought having a narrow flue is better than having none at all.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
steel liner question-20130609_185252.jpg   steel liner question-20130609_185230.jpg   steel liner question-20130609_185220.jpg  

Last edited by lovibond69; 06-11-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Is it possible to reverse that entrance piece so that the rolled steel lip is on the outside. This would give you a smoke chamber to stop the smoke from exiting straight out the front. It would also move the vent hole forward enabling you perhaps to fit a 6 in? 7 in?Chimney over the top of your vent hole gaining the Venturi effect as Davids has suggested
Having used on oven with no external chimney before I built mine I can tell you that the chance of missing an eyebrow or fringe is very real and quick.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Apprentice

4" diameter/2" radius is the right number, but you have a 4X2 hole which is much less than the MINIMUM required.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Peasant

Here is what I was thinking of for the flue(s). Any issues with having two ports for venting? The diameter of the two combined is ~5.75". Any recommendations on how tall they should be?

I may do a test fire to see how it flows before making any changes.
Any thoughts?

Thanks folks...
Attached Thumbnails
steel liner question-20130611_161304.jpg   steel liner question-20130611_161321.jpg   steel liner question-20130611_161337.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Apprentice

You're outside my expertise, but I think the two smoke stacks look coo l
Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Love the look of those pipes! I think you can start to talk in terms of exhaust rather than chimney.
It's good that you are going to experiment with it, you into unknown territory.
A couple of things to keep in mind. All ovens smoke to varying degree at start up as the fire becomes hotter the smoke itself hotter and the chimney hotter the process becomes more efficient.
If you don't have a smoke chamber the smoke will bypass those pipes and follow the path of least resistance straight out the front.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For your set up with a front flue I wouldn't go any smaller than a 5" diam flue (which is 19 sq in)
Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Out of my pay rank whether a dual chimney will work but the slanted pipes are very neat, something off a turbo diesel engine!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Tags
buckling liner, steel liners