Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Serf

Default Re: Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage

Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping all works out as planned. So far so good, but that's mainly due to hours of surfing this site and gleaning as much knowledge as I can from other successful projects. Once I complete the project and if all goes well I'll post my parts and cost list. Accountant by profession, I can't help myself from tracking these things.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Serf

Well the brick work is done (other than the last of the bricks around the chimney). Brick work is definitely a skill that I would need to practice a lot more to consider myself even mildly proficient. I realized after finishing the arch that while my keystone is cut correctly the two bricks on either side have the angles reversed to what they should be. Ah well it doesn't look terrible and the refractory mortar I used on the arch should definitely hold as the fire won't be anywhere near it. The other lesson i learned is that while the sliding compound saw with a masonry blade works well I wouldn't want to cut anymore bricks with it than I did in this project. It just creates too much dust which goes everywhere. I brought the chimney home and will build a cap during the week. I also brought home the steel cutout from the door opening as a piece to build the door. I haven't fully figured out how I'm going to build the door yet, a good Forno Bravo research project for the week.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0188.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0189.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Serf

I knocked off the chimney cap and started on a rake. I had some leftover aluminum from a previous project so I was able to make use of it for a quick and easy cap. I just cut a 9 inch diameter circle and bent two uprights and attached it all with rivets. I still need to slap a coat of barbecue paint on it but then it will be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0898.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0899.jpg  
Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Serf

Down to the final stages. Popped in the chimney with the few last bricks, well actually my 11 year old son did as he was looking to help out today. I picked up a metal blade for the HF saw and cut all the studs with it. I've never worked with metal studs before so I kind of muddled my way through. They ended up stable and square so that's all I was looking for. Four sheets of cement board later and I'm done for the day. I cut the cement board with the masonry blade on my angle grinder. Next weekend will be the roof and the Hardieplank I picked up at the local Home Depot. I think we'll be firing it up before it's finished for Canada Day (July 1st) as a test run.... I'll post some picks if we actually cook anything in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0200.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0198.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0199.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Serf

Happy Canada Day!

I managed to track down an apple wood supplier near where I live. I plan on doing some live fire cooking and the pine and fir that grow around here definitely don't produce a smoke that leaves anything close to a desirable taste on food. I also got the first fire going in the oven. I went a little overboard as it took a while to get it started but then the wood went up like the fish oil did...less the black smoke. The drum quickly got up to a uniform 800F. The floor maxed out at about 400F before the wood ran out. Tomorrow I'm going for a full burn with a few mini test pizzas. I forgot to knock off a quick pizza peel so mini pizzas on my oversize bbq spatula it is. Worst case it should be good for a laugh. We're have a party so if I don't at least make an effort there will be a lot of ribbing about the new dog house on stilts. I was checking to make sure everything has stayed level after construction and with all the weight now on the base. That's why the level in the picture. You can't tell in the picture but it has stayed level so far. I expect some settling over the winter though.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-photo.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0937.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Serf

Successful party!

Two different types of pies and the oven worked great. I started it up early in the day to drive off us much moisture as possible as I had only had the one drying fire previously. The steel definitely allows the heat to disperse evenly throughout the dome quickly as it's a better conductor of heat than brick. The outside layer of bricks obviously isn't dry yet as it was very slow to increase temp. At the end of the day it was only at 280F and I'd been running a fire for 6 hours. I ended up cooking with the hearth temp at 550F (a little low) and the dome at 750F. Pizza pies turned out great. You'll just have to trust me as apparently once they were cooked the focus was on eating them rather than getting a picture. We ended up flouring the back side of the pizza trays and used them as improvised pizza peels and using my oversize spatula as a turning and removing peel. We then went to dessert, a blueberry pie that i'd picked up from a farmers market. Turned out it was uncooked and since I had the oven preheated we just threw it in there. The hearth temp was at 450F and the dome was at 550 at that point. Turned out well, the hearth temp was still a little high so it cooked a little too much on the bottom but the rest was great. I noticed a few cracks around the chimney that developed yesterday so I filled those this morning. Depending on how energetic I feel tomorrow and as long as the weather holds I will insulate the oven and put the roof on.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0953.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0959.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0968.jpg  

Last edited by fisherhum; 07-02-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherhum View Post
Well another weekend of staying in town. I'm hoping to get the front arch jig built over the weekend and will post a quick picture if I get it done. In the meantime I received a few pictures of an old pizza oven I thought I would post. My mom just returned from a hiking trip in Italy and spotted the oven at one of the lunch stops.
Thanks for sharing the photos your mom made Seeing the cracks in a longtime working oven gives me relief after seeing too many cracks in my own oven right after curing it.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 07-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Apprentice

I did something similar to this but I used a wooden barrel, then bricked, then burned the barrel out. The result was an oblong oven. So far so good as the oven stands the test of time. I do like you idea and respect all out-of-the-box builds
Berryst

Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Serf

Well it's been a few weeks since an update. I got back to the cabin on the 16th only to find that my tarp had leaked and since we've been getting a lot of rain let's just say the dome and floor were quite wet. I spent last weekend trying to get and keep a small fire going and watching the steam come off. I did cut the sheet metal roof and then tarped it down as I didn't have time to screw it down properly. This weekend as everything had dried out I was able to put the insulation over the dome. I used one full bag and the sheets fit perfectly so minimal cutting was required which was really nice. The pictures don't show it well but I had to cut a few pieces to fully insulate around the chimney and in the front wall. If I need more insualation I will put it in the walls. I screwed on the roof and used stove cement and fire caulking to seal the roof to the chimney... and promptly forgot to take a picture so I'll get that for next weeekend. I will try and finish it off next weekend with the hardiplank siding so we'll see how that goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0221.jpg   Steel Drum Oven at the Lake Cottage-img_0223.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Laborer

Looking great. I am sure that oven with roast some nice fish in it's future!