Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Steel Dome Oven

Woo Hoo! Looking great.

I've been googling the cement fundu for the past half hour.

Looks like very versatile stuff! I'm going to need to find a local supplier when I start my full scale sculpture. (sometime after the outdoor kitchen is complete!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Master Builder

Last evening we roasted some pork ribs for an hour. We have been drying the oven out and figured we might as well use some of that heat.

I brushed them with marinade and placed them on a rack in a SS roasting pan and simply turned the pan around every 20 minutes. After that we placed them on the preheated grill to brown and sear the glaze. Wonderfully moist and tender.

Tonite was our first pizza. Our oven heated fast and within a hour and one half we were ready to start baking. Here's some photos of both the ribs and the first two pizzas to come from the WFO.

Now it's on to insulating and finishing the outside :-)

Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Dome Oven-roaster-wfo.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-ribs-they-came-wfo.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-ribs-grill.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-1st-pizza.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-2nd-pizza.jpg  

Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Apprentice

Awesome. nice to see progress

Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Serf

i just wish i can also have steel dome oven so that I can cook great pizzas I envy you LOL
Old 08-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Master Builder

After what seems like a very long time waiting for my schedule and good weather to coincide, I have managed to spend some more time on my WFO.

Latest is the first permutation of a door for baking bread. This door is not for when the oven has temperatures in excess of the flash point of wood, but simply to seal the oven off when baking bread. The window is a "Fire King" pie plate. It is the smallest pie plate of borosilicate glass I could find (8").

Anyone wishing to use a Pyrex pie plate in their oven as a window should be aware that "Pyrex" make since 1998 is not made of borosilicate glass. "Fire King" is borosilicate glass and IMHO more suitable for this application that merely toughened glass which is what modern "Pyrex" is. I found this plate at our local Goodwill store for $1.49 and from a bit of searching it dates from 1942-1945

We'll see how long before this door burns up, or the glass fails.

Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Dome Oven-oven-door.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-oven-door-2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Master Builder

Just an update for those curious or following this thread.

Two days ago I put the Kaowool insulation on the dome. There are photos on a reply I made to another thread on insulation. On that posting Les said that 3 " of kaowool is sufficient insulation and that one need not add more vermicrete insulation but that one could proceed to the final finish. But how? Seems that most who are doing a dome are applying a layer of vermicrete or perlcrete and then a layer of wire and directly applying stucco to that surface. That gives something to push against. Pushing wet stucco against the delicate and friable kaowool insulation seemed like a bad idea as this insulation performs better if it is not compressed.

Also my insulation is dry and I do not wish to go thru another drying cycle if I can help it. So what to do.. after a bit of head scratching I decided to build a separate free standing armiture to stucco upon. And to fill the space between that structure and the kaowool with loose dry vermiculite. Here's photos of what I built today. I call it my birdcage.The kaowool is covered with an old sheet to protect it from being abraded by a tarp to protect from the weather. The sheet will be removed in final assembly.

I'll tie window screen to the back surface of the birdcage to contain the vermiculite and to tie chicken wire to the front and stucco to that. The armiture will be glued to the base with construction adhesive.

Wiley

Note: there will be an additional section added to the front of this armiture that will support a stainless sleave so that the chimney can be serviced as needed and to allow expansion and such for the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Dome Oven-birdcage.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-birdcage-2.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-side-view-birdcage.jpg   Steel Dome Oven-front-view-birdcage.jpg  
kmcquade likes this.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool, I went through the same thought process and ended up doing something pretty similar, loose vermiculite and a second dome over the top... the difference being that my birdcage never looked anywhere near that nice.

Let me guess... you've got some experience working with metal, right?

Btw, I love the way your oven reflects on the polished landing. Only just noticed that, very cool!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Master Builder

thanks for the history leson on Pyrex - is this switch why the plates seem to chip easier?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Master Builder

jengineer, I do not know why the newer plates tend to chip easier. It is my understanding that the glass used in the new model "Pyrex" is toughened sodium glass as opposed to the borosilicate glass used previously. The relative ease of chipping could be due to the different characteristics of the two glasses. Toughness is of course, different than hardness. Hardness is resistance to being scratched. Toughness is resistance to being broken. Perhaps the chipping is more akin to scratching than to breaking.
Wiley
Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Master Builder

Hey Wiley!

What kind of progress have you made in the last 10 days?

Christo