Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build

Hi Luke - this is a fascinating cooking process - so varied, and it certainly seems to have a very strong following around the world.

I saw a vid with some guys making naan (production line arrangement), where the cook was pinning them to the sides of a vertical, cylindrical oven. I am guessing that this is the model that you are basing your design on...

In thinking about cooking naan in a WFO it certainly seems to be fit for purpose given the requirements for heat both top and bottom. I make a "starter" pizza normally when I begin a baking session which sounds like it's similar to a naan. I use the standard pizza base and add, rosemary, rock salt and olive oil. It cooks nicely top and bottom and does some puffing too which seems like a naan characteristic.

Moving on to the cooking requirements of a tandoori oven - has this got any special cooking requirements, that say a WFO hasn't got? I know many people cook tandoori in the WFO but wonder if there is a better mode of preparing it. If the WFO can cook tandoori satisfactorily, would it not be worth just going down the WFO path given the versatility of the product?

When do you plan to complete your project? Will there be some cooking action next weekend perhaps??

/Rossco
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Serf

Hi Rossco,

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post

Moving on to the cooking requirements of a tandoori oven - has this got any special cooking requirements, that say a WFO hasn't got? I know many people cook tandoori in the WFO but wonder if there is a better mode of preparing it. If the WFO can cook tandoori satisfactorily, would it not be worth just going down the WFO path given the versatility of the product?

/Rossco
I would much prefer to build a WFO than a Tandoor. Unfortunately, I am in the process of building/sub-dividing my block so building a WFO is on the back burner. I was not originally thinking about building a Tandoor, but I was contemplating how I might go about building a small portable "smoker" to make my own cold-smoked bacon.

I found a few web sites with details about small portable tandoors, and the results looked impressive. I decided that if I built a small tandoor oven in a keg I could also use it as a smoke-vessel for making bacon, by feeding smoke in via the ventilation duct. One thing led to another, then my mate told me about his plasma cutter and what it could do, so I was hooked on the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post

When do you plan to complete your project? Will there be some cooking action next weekend perhaps??

/Rossco
I'm hoping to complete it this weekend. I have a fair number of bricks to cut for the base which will probably be the most time consuming.

Cheers
Luke
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds good ... best of luck with the project !!

Rossco
Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Serf

Well,

Like all good projects, things took a bit of time to get on to the next step.

First, we needed to make a cutout for the vent at the bottom of the Tandoor. The great thing about Plasma cutters is that cut so quickly the metal never gets a chance to get hot.

The 1st photo shows the template we used for the vent. It was 5mm cardboard from a shipping box. The cardboard did not even burn (or smoke) and the entire cut was complete in 30 seconds. Keep in mind we are cutting 3mm stainless steel (well, I was impressed anyway).

We did make a little mistake with the vent. With hindsight, we should have left the door un-cut in the corners. This would have kept the door in place and made alignment of the hinge so much easier.

The hinge was clamped to the keg using a $2 G-clamp which gave us $2 G-clamp trouble (as you would expect) but it finally held. To raise the hinge above the rib, two stainless nuts were used as spacers. The nuts and hinge were then TIG welded. But as true amateurs, we forgot to turn the gas on and blew the tip away.

A quick regrind on the linisher and we tried again with the gas, this time successfully as shown in the last photo. However, as I found out, there is a significant amount of difference in heat between plasma cutting (none) and TIG welding (lots). My finger can assure you of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-template-vent.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-vent-cutout.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-tig-welding.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-welded-hinge.jpg  

Last edited by eLuke455; 02-22-2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: minor fix
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 AM
Serf

Now it was time to re-attach the door. With a bit of mucking around we taped up the door back into place using gaffer tape as shown in the 1st image.

The hinge could then tack welded onto the door, tape removed, with additional welding for more support. It was a relief to see the ventilation door working, but there was nothing to stop the door from being pushed too far in.

This was fixed with a small tab as shown in the last image. The other tab (shelf) is to help prevent motor falling through when we mount the pot. I will explain this bit later.

Luke
Attached Thumbnails
Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-taped-door.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-part-finished-door.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-door-works.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-door-supports.jpg  
Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Serf

Now it was time to work out how to fix the lid back on! We were hoping to implement something a little more elaborate, as it would have been nice to have fixing tabs on the inside as it would be more visually pleasing...but it all got too difficult so we fixed 3 tabs on the outside.

The idea was to weld 3 x 10mm stainless nuts to the inside of the keg. The lid would then be fixed to the keg with 3 bolts through the tabs. Sounds pretty strait forward.

First task was to make the tabs using a sturdy drill press. Again, drilling stainless is not as easy as you would think.

The lid was aligned with the keg and taped up with strong gaffer tape. 3 tabs were welded into place, equally spaced around the keg. This was all fairly strait forward.

With the tabs in place, we found another excuse to use the plasma cutter. That is, to blow the hole for the bolts. It "kind of" worked as you can see from the final picture, but the holes need significant work with a step drill to finish off (complicated by a lot of flat battery drills). Still, it was probably quicker than trying to drill 3 x 12mm holes in 3mm stainless.

Cheers
Luke
Attached Thumbnails
Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-drilling-tabs.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-aligning-tabs.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-tab-welded.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-blowing-hole.jpg  

Last edited by eLuke455; 02-23-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Master Builder

Luke, excellent thread and a great job so far.
Looking like alot of fun :-)

And a question for Rossco: The people you know who cook naan in their WFOs, do they have some sort of holder or applicator for sticking the bread to the hearth like is used to stick the bread to the inside of the tandoori ovens? Or is it slid in off a peel as if it was a untopped pizza skin?

Bests,
Wiley
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM

The tool for applying Naan to the inside of the tandoor is called a bread pad. This page has a picture of one, and a nice photo essay about making naan.

Naan | The Fresh Loaf

I don't see any reason why the same pad couldn't apply naan to the dome of your oven. Haven't done it myself: I just cook flatbreads on the floor.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
And a question for Rossco: The people you know who cook naan in their WFOs, do they have some sort of holder or applicator for sticking the bread to the hearth like is used to stick the bread to the inside of the tandoori ovens? Or is it slid in off a peel as if it was a untopped pizza skin?
The WFO ones that I have seen being made are done directly on the oven floor.

I suppose that raises the question then: "are these actually naans?" Probably not!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Serf

After plasma cutting the holes were a little rough. To clean these up, we used a step drill. The biggest challenge in this process was finding a battery drill with a decent battery.

With the holes cleaned up, we decided the best approach was to align the lid and tabs with bolts in the nuts, and then weld the nuts onto the keg. All seemed pretty forward. Bolts and nuts tightened but not too tight. Although tricky, the TIG hand piece could fit through the hole in the top of the keg.

The welder (Rik) did cop some arc-flash in his eyes because the welding mask LCD panel (located just above the eyes) was shielded by the keg. A small head ache was the only result, but this was an interesting safety lesson with these LCD type masks. If your LCD is obstructed from the ARC, it won't shield....

All three nuts were welded, although we had to turn up the current due to the large thermal mass of the nut and bolt.

As we tried to undo the bolts, we discovered (or should I say remembered) that Stainless Steel is notorious for galling. Well, each bolt seized up after 1/2 of a turn. We emptied a can of RP-17, various types of oils, applied heat, to no avail.

1 x 17mm spanner and a lot of torsional force and the 10mm bolts were broken off (although I thought the welds on the nut would give way, but they did not). Another wonderful lesson in mechanical engineering - torsional vs shear breaking points (and who says electronics engineers know nothing about mechanical engineering ehh???? ). Out came the Dremmel and cut off wheel to remove the nuts.

The above process was repeated, but this time with anti-seize compound on the threads. Success was the result (don't have a photo of this unfortunately).

Cheers
Luke
Attached Thumbnails
Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-cleaning-hole.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-ready-weld-nut.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-cutting-nut.jpg   Small Portable Tandoori Oven Build-nut-weld-success.jpg  

Last edited by eLuke455; 02-24-2010 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typos