Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Single Pizza, Test Oven, Propane Powered.

That's a good point. Well I think definitely need the "stone" on top since this is where they get the name from, the 2nd stone? but I think you may be right about the sides just needing insulation.
I think the airflow is a side effect from the heat rising and going out the front which is the point of less resistance, this brings the heat up from the sides and back over the pizza and down from the top stone...also speculating here from simply watching the videos. I wish we could actually talk to someone that has used one. I'm going to look on their blog and see if I can make contact with one of their customers that has posted.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Peasant

I'd suggest looking around at the forums at pizzamaking.com. I know the 2stone guys have posted a bunch there, and there's probably a lot to be gleaned about the evolution of their design if you're willing to read through the threads.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
I'd suggest looking around at the forums at pizzamaking.com. I know the 2stone guys have posted a bunch there, and there's probably a lot to be gleaned about the evolution of their design if you're willing to read through the threads.
Thanks for the link! that thread was pure gold! I completely know how to make it and how to make a better burner set up than what he has. This is gonna be like taking candy from a baby.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Peasant

Suddenly this feels like corporate espionage. (Though the market segment of people who would build their own and those who would buy one are different enough as to have no overlap, I trust.)

Anyway, glad I was able to point you in the right direction. Your enthusiasm has convinced me I should read that thread.

Can't wait till you get started. I'll be interested to see your design and build. Take lots of pictures.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Peasant

can there be too many pizza ovens sold? competition is best for everyone, it helps consumers and spurs business's on to bigger and better things.

Perhaps the device needs a fold up insulated lid that can be shut for firing to heat the stones, then opened to place the pizza in more like a mini commericail pizza oven in a resturant.

I would assume the ??? on the diagram is a hook to hold the peel tho.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Peasant

Well, I've been perusing that thread, and 2stone (Willard) said that he tried putting a door on the front, and it was counterproductive... the increased airflow with it open actually improved warmup times.

And, yes, I agree... reverse engineering, incorporating the best ideas out there and then pushing them forward, improves the landscape for everyone (eventually). Not just in pizza ovens , in everything. To paraphrase Newton, we are all standing on the shoulders of giants.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Journeyman

The "hook" under the ??? is actually attached to the burner he decided to go with. The user is to move the burner from the back to the front now and then to maintain proper heat distribution? I wouldn't think that would be necessary since the pizza stone is on an automatic turntable. I am not going to use the same burner set up so I won't be needing that feature.
Take no credit away from Willard, he is ahead of the mainstream with his simple yet very effective design.
I forgot to mention, I ordered the same stone he uses which is supposed to be good to 1500F.
Only $43 shipped, good thing I didn't place the order for the soapstone for $60 !
http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 06-16-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Peasant

Yeah, Fibrament is wonderful, from all I hear. I was able to find a cordierite kiln shelf for even cheaper than that (at a local pottery supply shop), but if I couldn't, I had planned to go with fibrament.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
Yeah, Fibrament is wonderful, from all I hear. I was able to find a cordierite kiln shelf for even cheaper than that (at a local pottery supply shop), but if I couldn't, I had planned to go with fibrament.
do these people have a website?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Peasant

They do.

Here's the page with kiln shelves. I doubt they ship -- or, if they do, I doubt it's economical, but it'll at least give you an idea.