Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Serf

Default Re: Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity mater

Have been working over the weekend on the mold and have made some progress.

Diameter - apx 61 cm

Dome - Flat Dome, apx 26.5 cm

Door - 40 x 17 cm with a door stop/frame for an eventual door

Landing Area - currently at 15cm (each piece of Styrofoam is 5cm in depth) and widening at apx 45 degree angle

Flue/Chimney - haven't sorted that out yet but will most probably center it on the last 3 pieces of foam with some sort of gradual opening out to the actual chimney. Wondering if I need to continue the 45 degree angle on the last piece of foam for easier access or does that really matter?

Pocket / Indentation - have made the pocket / indentation on the left hand side of the oven. Don't know exact measurement, just took a piece of wood and free handed it around with a height of 15cm.

Next steps is to sort out the flue/chimney, cover the sides with vinyl/linoleum to ensure smooth sides, set up the wire mesh for trowelling and decide on the thermocouples.

Picking up the mesh in Canada this week as haven't been able to find a nearby supplier in Scotland and hopefully will be able to grab some insulation at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material-20130818leftside.jpg   Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material-20130818rightside.jpg  
Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity mater

Hi Killie,

I like it, but it made me smile, reminds me of a toilet seat. Keep the photos, coming.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 AM
Serf

Yeah, my son had a similar comment and proceeded to give a demonstration!

This last week was fairly productive on the materials side. Was able to pick up a roll in Chicoutimi of the Thermal Ceramics Superwoolฎ 607ฎ HT™ Blanket, but the 96 Kg/m3 (6 lbs/ft3) version of it and in Toronto 6 boards of the ZELIEBLOK 2000S Calcium Silicate Block Insulation. These should be more than good enough. Was able to get it back to Scotland without and problems and now have to start collecting the firebricks. Need to beef up my luggage!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Serf

Have made some further progress

Was able to cut and shape the wire mesh and borrowed a slurry mixer extension from my wifes lab to use on my 1100W power drill for mixing the refractory material. This was definitely not optimal as had to mix everything in 4kg batches and it takes 6-8 minutes for the water to be worked into the material. If/when I do this again, will definitely get a paddle mixer for mixing mortars.

Several hours later we finally covered the complete oven, using about 112kg of material for an apx 60x70cm inner diameter. Wall are approximately 4cm and the dome is about 5cm, but as my wife was doing the trowelling I didn’t really want to point out the few areas with thicker material!

Next steps are making a cart for the oven, sourcing firebricks, sorting out the chimney/flue (I'm thinking about a 4"/100mm internal diam flue) and casting the mouth and finally figuring out how to cover the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material-2013-08-31-11.36.53.jpg   Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material-2013-08-31-16.24.18.jpg   Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material-2013-08-31-17.37.02.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When you remove your mould from the casting you will probably find some voids against the mould surface, assuming you trowelled the castable in place without vibrating it with an outer mould. You can fill these with some castable that has been sieved and mixed with water to peanut butter consistency. This operation needs to be done before the casting has fully dried ie a day or two after casting.

Last edited by david s; 09-02-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Serf

My thoughts exactly, but unfortunately my schedule didn't allow me to breakdown the mould in time so we are crossing our fingers.

When we applied the material, we did a first pass in each section just a centimetre or so thick and really pressed it against mould so hopefully the voids etc will be limited. Also we covered the cut/outside of the styrofoam edges with linoleum to provide a very smooth surface. This is a tip for everyone casting refractories. The linoleum along with a decent release agent, will provide for an extremely smooth surface, what we call a "baby bottom" finish. Overkill possibly for a pizza oven, but very desirable with liquid metals, plus it looks good!

David s, is the internal diameter of your flue 4 or 5", 100/130mm? The price is basically the same here, but with the larger diameter then I can use a shorter piece, rather than the 1000mm length, or possible use the 1000mm length regardless. I am just trying to make everything as compact as possible, but on the other hand, if I am going to have a flue, then I don't want to make it to small and have black marks on the front of the oven like I see in so many pictures of ovens with flues.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Killie,
I use a 5" flue, but my oven is smaller than yours. If I were making one your size I'd use a 6" flue. Mine is 900mm long. You can make the flue too short and too narrow, but with a front flue you can't really make it too long or too wide
Keen to see your castings,
Dave

Last edited by david s; 09-03-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Serf

Dave,

With a 130mm flue then my landing will need to be at least 200mm depending on the size of the console/anchor plate. Essentially the size of the flue will determine the size of the landing at this point and I need space to make the vent area up to the flue. I backed off the mouth out of the oven by about 25mm to gain some extra space for the flue. Will go on and order today. Thanks.

Killie
Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My flue pipe is 5" and my flue gallery depth is also only 5" because I like a shallow entry to make the oven easy to work. Here's how I achieved it. The flue gallery only weighs 11 Kgs by the way, so does not sap much heat from the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material-p6160028.jpg   Refactory Cast Oven – New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material-p6160030.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just been looking at your specs again. Yours is 61 cm diam. (13% more than mine) but this translates to 44% more volume, although I see you have an internal dome height same as mine, so lets say you volume is about 20-25% more. You could probably get away with a 5" rather than a 6" flue, just make it reasonably tall will help.