Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Portable Tandoor Oven Build

Anyone got some diagrams or pictures of a built tandoor?? Would like to see how it is designed and built - guess I am too visual.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Journeyman

Hi C5dad,

I searched for the same information on the tandoor retail sellers and manufacturers sites. A few of them have photos of their manufacturing processes and assembly. I considered approaching a local ceramics shop to make a clay liner. Learned a lot from that experience. If you can find someone who shares your passion for home made cooking devices and also does clay/ceramics then that would be great. I'm still looking for that combination. Meanwhile, I have a few ideas for making a tandoor style cooker that I am still "baking".

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Serf

Here are the pics for my build described in an earlier post on this thread. I used premixed fireclay because it was easy to find and I didn't know any better at the time. The lid is the bottom whcih I had cut off (rather unevenly) form the bottom of the clay pot. Building a liner from ceramic or clay is tricky - must be thick enought to retain heat but also be able to witstand the stress of heating to high temp and them cooling. My build works really great for my puposes, and I have enjoyed it immensely.

1. Standing guard in the yard
2. Top view of cooking chamber
3. Bottom vent, also works for ash removal
4. Another top view

Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Serf

And some pics from the first cook... for inspiration!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Journeyman

Wow, Caliking, you're quite the craftsman ! Thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Serf

Nothing compared to the real works of art built by members here. I'm just skilled enough, with just enough tools, to be dangerous!

My wife keeps pleading with me not to burn anything down, otherwise I'm free to do waht I want to (as much as a married man can anyways!)

Hope these pics helped. I still maintain that this sort of tandoor is easy to build (compared to a wood-fired pizza oven, IMO) and not nearly as pricey.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Journeyman

So, it looks like the firebox is refractory and the flue/cooking surface is a clay pot. Is there an insulation layer between the fire side and the steel drum?? I would assume a mix of pearlite/vermiculite and portland would work well.

Enquiring minds want to know!

Follow my build
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Serf

You're basically right. i used perlite and fireclay in a crude mix (didn't really measure any proportions) and just stuffed into any empty space I noted. Again, i didn't know any better, but it all worked out in the end.

For the big terracotta planter, i had to cut off the top rim to make it fit into the drum, and then cut off the botom to make an open top.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Laborer

Well, I tried working with KS4......and I absolutely hate the stuff. I don't like the texture, and I certainly do not want to slap bread against it.....

One of my friends is a potter, so I gave him a drawing......and I have attached a few pictures. We have not yet fired the pot.....I suspect that this level of pottery is rather advanced. This guy has pieces in the Crocker Art Museum.

Portable Tandoor Oven Build-p1000305-1-.jpg

Portable Tandoor Oven Build-p1000444-1-.jpg

Portable Tandoor Oven Build-p1000495small.jpg
Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Serf

That's a sweet looking pot! What did the dimensions turn out to be? You'll have to fire that really slow - small fires first then gradually bigger ones. Can't wait to see how things turn out.