Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: portable oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobpaul View Post
David your awesome and patient.....

thats 5 parts cement to 1 part vermiculite, by volume isnt
Aahh, NO!
5 parts vermiculite to 1 part cement. I suggested 4:1 because I think you could probably do with the extra strength.
Just looked up osb and it appears surprisingly like what we call chipboard which is notorious for disintegrating when it gets wet. I thought you had settled on marine ply or steel as your supporting base.

Last edited by david s; 03-31-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:03 AM
Peasant

It ended up being 4 parts vermiculite to 1 part cement, I put in some sand aswell. osb its like a cross between chipboard and ply, it is water resistant and does not swell. A cheaper substitute for ply, i think its called aspenite in the states.

The vermicrete is setting nicely and I think I could strike the form now, it feels very slightly soft to touch but it is dry, and it has the slightest amount of give when pressure is applied but it is concrete, unusual stuff alright.

How thick did you make your oven walls david?

What are your thoughts on purchasing a modular oven as opposed to bulding a dome in situe for a mobile oven?

Last edited by cobpaul; 03-31-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobpaul View Post
It ended up being 4 parts vermiculite to 1 part cement, I put in some sand aswell. osb its like a cross between chipboard and ply, it is water resistant and does not swell. A cheaper substitute for ply, i think its called aspenite in the states.
I know it as osb...it's the common term, at least in New England and here in the southeast.... aspenite isn't really used as much. I can't comment on the board made in Ireland, but all the osb I know of here will swell up when wet (eventually), immediately on cut ends. It starts to de-laminate when exposed to uv and the elements after a few months too. It's used as sheathing here, and shouldn't be exposed to the elements for very long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Peasant

well stonecutter i made a shelter for the cat when it out the back garden from osb years ago in our old house it lasted 2+ years.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

i have no idea how your osb will stand up to weather and moisture, but it is sitting against wet vermicrete now, you decide. The 3" of vermicrete will take around three weeks to dry, in perfect drying weather (see attached doc)

I made my dome walls 2" thick for my mobile, likewise the floor.

I doubt whether you could find a precast kit small enough for your slab.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Best of luck with your build.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My apologies I forgot to attach doc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vermicrete insulating slab copy.doc.zip (73.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Peasant

Ok I found a suplier who can custom make me a dome with 50mm thick walls, the overall measurements I have come up with are:

exterior diameter of dome: 660mm
fibre blanket insulation: 50mm
vermiculite cement: 75mm

My base is 910mm square, will these mesurements be sufficient for a oven that will hold a good enough heat for several hours??

Can I add the link of the supplier so that people can see what I am using or is that against forum rules???

Mikku I would love to be ready to go for the markets, but time and money are always against us + curing time lol. seriously im going as quick as I can. If I HAD to choose between a wooden or sand mould, I would choose sand
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Make your vermicrete layer thinner otherwise you won't have enough room for the outer shell or the vent at the front. With 50 mm blanket you don't need so much vermicrete anyhow.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Peasant

so...what do you reckon 50mm vermicrete david? Also are there pros and cons if I incorperate a chimney stack?