Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: portable oven

I agree. The drawbar on my trailer has gone skywards a couple of times. Fortunately it is chained into the trailer and no harm done, but this is a problem for single axles trailers with heavy loads over the axle. The more so the higher you go.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Peasant

yes!! a third detachable pole with a wheel on the end for when im moving it about. The fulcram is directly over the axle. but i plan to adapt my trailer so i can secure the cart to it for transport and loading/off loading with a small winch, without fear of it going skyward. it will be next week before i get to the builders yard to get the rest of the stuff. also would i get away with using marine ply instead of sheet metal for underneath the 6'' perlcrete base?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Take your pick. The sheet metal will eventually rust, the marine ply will eventually rot. Heat and moisture will hasten both. Cement sheeting might be a better option but it would have to be well supported and thick enough.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Peasant

cool ill go with the ply cause i have some.... so ill post more photos next week when i have the base poured thanks Dave
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Peasant

I am building a frame on the trailer to keep the cart in place and secure. obviously i will be tying it down with heavy-duty rachet straps also.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Take your pick. The sheet metal will eventually rust, the marine ply will eventually rot. Heat and moisture will hasten both. Cement sheeting might be a better option but it would have to be well supported and thick enough.
Under the slab with an oven and roof over it do you know how long it would take for sheetmetal to rust out? Longer then the life of this oven if it doesn't become a family heirloom. There is ductwork on roofs all over the place that has been there for 50+ years exposed to the elements. The building I'm working in now has a 25 story hand riveted steel ventilation shaft running right up the center of it that has been there since the 20's.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobpaul View Post
yes!! a third detachable pole with a wheel on the end for when im moving it about. The fulcram is directly over the axle. but i plan to adapt my trailer so i can secure the cart to it for transport and loading/off loading with a small winch, without fear of it going skyward. it will be next week before i get to the builders yard to get the rest of the stuff. also would i get away with using marine ply instead of sheet metal for underneath the 6'' perlcrete base?
I like the idea of a third wheel oposite the handles idealy that wheel would be free spinning caster style wheel that would be a few inches off the ground when the oven was level. It also may be a good idea to have that third wheel attached to a jack similar to the jack on a boat trailer. That way the wheel assembly could be used to assist in leveling the oven on slightly uneven ground as this is a portable oven.

I would also add some cross bracing to the frame it looks a little weak and prone to twisting load failure.

I believe marine plywood will last a long time as the oven will most likely be stored inside, I would put a coat of paint on the ply (both sides and edges) and also run a bead of weather resistant caulk where it meets the frame.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 02-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Peasant

yeah i was thinking along those lines mikku there are loads of markets and fairs going on every week all over the country, generally the bigger ones will be on the 1st,2nd,3rd or last sat/sun of the month and farmers markets can be found midweek in various locations for most of the year. much the same as japan i would guess lol. the market scene here is cut-throat and very hard to get in to because there is a ''click'' in all of them and they look after their own first and make it difficult for everyone else trying to get in, if you know what i mean.... but in general at a farmers market you would find butcher's, fishmongers, crafts, live poultry, confectionary, preserves, vegatbles and baked goods ie. sweet and savory, but no pizza!!! they are usually quite dull but thats because we have bad weather here most of the year. But the sight and smell of a wood fired oven would do well I think, ive got loads of ideas about what to bake and cook in it not just pizza. I have my name and logo on paper already, I'll get a banner made up if its going well.

yeah chip thats what i had in min the wheel and the cross bracing, I was worried about the heat affecting the ply. The oven will be stored out of the rain. Should i drive screws up through the ply say about 20/30 to help hold the perlcrete to the ply?? I think tec7 will do the job of holding the ply to the frame.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobpaul View Post
yeah chip thats what i had in min the wheel and the cross bracing, I was worried about the heat affecting the ply. The oven will be stored out of the rain. Should i drive screws up through the ply say about 20/30 to help hold the perlcrete to the ply?? I think tec7 will do the job of holding the ply to the frame.
Gravity will keep everything attached. Te Teks to hold the ply in place is a good idea, the Perlcrete has almost no shear strength so I think screws in that would only aid in cracks showing up.

As far as heat? How much perlcrete were you planning on? If it is 4 inches or more you should be OK on temps.

You are planning for a perimeter panel (I recommend aluminum or steel sheet metal for that) of some type to hold the perlcrete in place on the sides correct?? With a containment wall you should be able to go to 7/1 or 8/1 or even higher with your perlite to cement ratios.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 02-27-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Master Builder

I think he means that no one is selling pizza, an open niche, that he would like to fill.