Old 12-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: pizza oven becomes a kiln

No, but I'll try and do that next time I fire it. I find kilns really exciting to fire. The burner roars the higher the temp goes the wares inside glow yellow and the power of the fire is amazing. You think pizza temps in a WFO are exciting? Try a kiln.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't use wood? My wife and I took a pottery course for 6 months in CT some time ago, by an outgoing apprentice of a world class master potter. The kiln they use is a massive, walk in barrel vault...and it was fired by scrap from a local timber mill. Very impressive to see it in action, we saw a couple firings when we were in class. You are right describing it as exciting, and we have been talking about getting into pottery again. It would be a cool project to build a kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have built wood fired kilns, but the main problem is that they require constant attention to stoke and monitor the fire. With gas you can meter the fuel precisely and only need to turn up the burner every two or three hours giving you much more constant and controlled temp rise.It's also a much cleaner fuel.Wood creates some pretty wild temp fluctuations that are much harder to control.
I hope i'm not breaking the forum rules here, talking about gas. It's not a WFO and I run a burner with a flame failure device so I guess it's ok.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

David,

Never knew about your interest in building a kiln for stoneware. I was a ceramic major in school a long time ago (40 years) and have built various type of experimental kilns ranging from Raku kilns to dung fired Navaho Indian kilns for doing burnished black pottery. Do you do both wheel thrown and hand work and typically what cone do you fire too?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
David,

Never knew about your interest in building a kiln for stoneware. I was a ceramic major in school a long time ago (40 years) and have built various type of experimental kilns ranging from Raku kilns to dung fired Navaho Indian kilns for doing burnished black pottery. Do you do both wheel thrown and hand work and typically what cone do you fire too?
Hi Russell,

I'm a Visual Arts teacher and have built half a dozen kilns over the years, this one will be no.7. I do wheel thrown stuff, slip casting and hand built work, used also to do porcelain jewelery. I'm hoping to be able to get to stoneware temps in this kiln around cone 6. More recently, the last 15 years, have only had access to an electric kiln at our school so have been only doing earthenware firings, so I'm excited to get back to high temps again.

Dave
Old 12-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

David,

Very good, I was a fine arts major then got married and had to make a living and went it Engineering, the complete opposite side of the brain. Always was hoping to get back into pottery after I retired. Would be interested in seeing some of your work.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Master Builder

An interesting kiln can be found at Nob Creek in Byfield, it is a massive wood fired thing that must be 8 metres long (at least) and when fully fired looks like a fire breathing dragon at night. Worth a look if you are passing through Rockhampton/Yepoon way. They do some repetitive stuff but a lot of bespoke pieces.

I have an interesting pitcher that is made from the local clay that has some small stone pieces in it and it is one of those things that bring a little joy each time I spot it.

Nob Creek Pottery - How to find us

Worth a look. The rustic studio and area generally do not reflect the polished website but their work is excellent.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
David,

Very good, I was a fine arts major then got married and had to make a living and went it Engineering, the complete opposite side of the brain. Always was hoping to get back into pottery after I retired. Would be interested in seeing some of your work.
Russell,

Here are a few examples of my work.The small figures are part of a set of chess pieces based on the Gulf War.
The last pic shows how I have sealed around the flue pipe incorporating a vent to the insulation space.

Dave

I've shown you mine, now you show me yours.
Attached Thumbnails
pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1010459.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1010460.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1010464.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1010463.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1010462.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 12-16-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

David,

Nice use of oxides and glazes and combining hand with wheel thrown work. So here are a few of mine. I do not have many left since I gave many away. These are circa 1970s work, abt the last time I did pottery. Everywhere I travel I away am always on the lookout for local potters I can pick a piece to add to my collection.
Attached Thumbnails
pizza oven becomes a kiln-dscn3934.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-dscn3936.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-dscn3938.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There was a member on this forum (haven't heard from him in a while) but he was doing some pretty cool stuff related to us. Check out link #17

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...sted-1971.html (A pieceapizzapiepottery: Input Requested)

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.