Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Oven on wheels

tek screws will hold the weight, but that is only part of the problem. they will loosen up every time you put a side load on the cart and the smaller the wheel diameter the harder you will have to push to get it rolling.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I may have to go somewhere else. Too many negative waves on this forum!
Hmmm, if you only want favourable replies its probably best not to ask as sometimes the answer you seek will not be good, that goes with all forums.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so take it on board and learn from it as we all have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Master Builder

Brickie, Its the way you do it, mate. There is a polite way, then there is your way.
You could say how big are those castors? But instead you just call it a tea trolley, without even knowing what size they are.
In anycase, I just put 203 kilos of bricks and clay on there and nothing gave. I could still move it round my carport. And yes I weighed them, not guesstimated them.
Having said that, as previously stated, I will probably take the castors off after I settle on a position to park the oven.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Maybe so, but how will it wheel?
They might be good for a tea trolley but an oven may require a bigger dia wheel to be able to move it.

Quote:
Brickie, Its the way you do it, mate. There is a polite way, then there is your way.
Wow, is that all it took to upset you, I wasnt rude or anything?.
I was just straight to the point.

Quote:
You could say how big are those castors? But instead you just call it a tea trolley, without even knowing what size they are.
I knew what size they were because I read it in the thread?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-08-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 AM
Master Builder

First off, I apologise for being grumpy.
I should point out, though, I merely posted my photos of progress so far, and didn't actually ask for your advice. So your point about don't ask is not valid.

After looking at other guys builds, I decided on castors an inch bigger than they were using, exactly because I did not want too much roll resistance, and rated at 40% more than my estimated final weight (based on weighing bricks, density of adobe, etc, - I've been calculating and weighing, rather than guessing), so the comment that they might be good enough for a tea trolley, but might not be good for rolling an oven around, sort of made me feel you were questioning my intelligence. Did you say the same thing to the guys using 4 inch castors?

I've stated previously I'm optimising for pizzas, so I've settled on a moulded/poured dome about 30 inches in diameter, 2 inches thick, and two inch pavers for the floor.

We shall see how it holds up.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Journeyman

Optimizing for pizza what's your planned dome height
Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Master Builder

Low but I'll have to dig out my drawings, I can't remember the actual number. I was guided by the FB Pompeii plans. If you remember, they talk about low dome/high dome depending what you want to do most of.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Journeyman

Just curious is all. Low dome pizza specific ovens are my "thing". I've built two of them with the first being 30". Take it for whatever you think it's worth, but I would not go much lower then 13". Guidelines you may find online like h=d/3.4 aren't meant for small ovens, and at 13" you'll have plenty of top heat for a 900F+ sub 60 second bake without having to dome the pie, which is my goal in a pizza oven.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Master Builder

13 inches is indeed very low . I was thinking if a brick standing on its its end is 9 inches, and I used that to set the height of my door, then using the 63% ratio, the roof of the dome should be 14.3 inches. Bit worried about it all being too low though.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Journeyman

Sounds like you have a good plan to me. For a low dome I'm a big fan of casting the entry out of castable refractory, that's how I did my new oven.