Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven on wheels

The other night the missus "suggested" a BBQ for dinner would be welcome.
So I fired the oven, and made a rack for the sausages and chops form a couple of old refrigerator shelves.
I did the chops and snags on the rack.
Something I didn't realise, when you cook your meat on an elevated rack in a fully heated oven, the top and bottom cook at the same time, and you don't have to turn the meat over.
Did a tray of capsicum, zucchini, onion and carrots tossed in garlic, oil, salt and pepper, and a tray of roast spuds.
It all cooked really quickly.
Pretty happy with the outcome. We'd just started serving it up when I remembered to photograph it.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-09022013208-small-.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Serf

Thanks for the detailed thread.

Some great ideas and trouble shooting in here.

Newbie working on plans for a semi-permanent, cheap (partially/mostly recycled) WFO...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Journeyman

Be careful cooking on refrigerator racks. I have no idea if it's true, but I was always taught in Boy Scouts that such racks are typcally galvanized...and cooking on galvanized surfaces was a big no-no.

Bill
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Master Builder

No worries, these are chrome plated steel. Had a moment's concern about hexavalent chrome and decided life is too short to stress about it.
I reckon if we are not worried about chromium in the bricks, no need to worry about chromium on the rack.
According to my research, you need welding temperatures to generate hexavalent chrome from chromium metal.

Having said that, I just went and looked at the rack I heated in the oven - the plating is flaking off, differences in thermal expansion rates?
Thinking about it these were kinda rusty looking. It was an old fridge, so maybe it was nickel plate.
I figure I'll hit it with the wire wheel, or just re-heat it in the oven until I burn it all off.