Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Oven on wheels

Finally got around to replacing the loose stacked bricks I was using for a wind-break with a mortared arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-25012013202-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven on wheels

Gudday Mick
That all definitly keep the wind out nof your oven....and prevent any radient heat from effecting your glass of wine.

Regards vDave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Journeyman

Tried her out last night. One hair line crack alongside the keystone bricks. Nothing serious I think, and accessible to repair if absolutely necessary down the track.
It was quite windy last night, and this arched enclosure did a better job than the rectangular thing I started with.
I would recommend that to anyone contemplating their options - for a given width of entry, the arch design closes things in a bit better than a rectangular opening, in my opinion.
The wind was kept out better, and I swear the smoke was drafted better.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Hi Wotavidone,
Hairline cracks occur in wood fired ovens from time to time, but these hairline cracks never become large enough to become a problem. Cracks simply happen with brick ovens on occasion because of the expansion and contraction of the dome and the individual bricks. It's essentially part of nature.

What is important is that these hairline cracks do not impact how well the oven cooks or how long the oven will last.

The homeowner can continue using the oven, not worry about the crack and let us know if it gets bigger (again, something that has never happened). Here is the text in Italian, from the Artisan who makes the oven, and in our translation.

"Come tutti i forni tradizionale anche "il Forno del Nonno (Artigiano)" subisce durante il funzionamento una normale dilatazione termica che si presenta sotto forma di una piccolo crepatura in corrispondenza della cupola.

Tuttavia questo fenomeno naturale non deve preoccupare poiché non altera e non limita le caratteristiche del forno che potrete tranquillamente usare come vostra consuetudine."

As with all traditional ovens (brick), including the Artigiano, that undergo thermal expansion during operation, there is the chance that small cracks can form in the dome.

This phenomenon is normal in every way, and you do not have to worry, because these small cracks do not alter or limit the characteristics of the oven, and you can happily continue to use the oven as you would otherwise.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Journeyman

P.S. Given that I often seem to forget to move my wine glass before photographing things, Dave will be pleased to know that a) I didn't crack a bottle until after the baking was done, and b) it was actually quite cool down here last night, hard to believe it is summer, and when I did crack a bottle, it was a bottle of Wolf Blass Tawny Port that just happened to be lying around and c) I was uncharacteristically restrained so I still have lots of that there bottle of port left this morning.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderator View Post
Hi Wotavidone,
Hairline cracks occur in wood fired ovens from time to time, but these hairline cracks never become large enough to become a problem. Cracks simply happen with brick ovens on occasion because of the expansion and contraction of the dome and the individual bricks. It's essentially part of nature.

What is important is that these hairline cracks do not impact how well the oven cooks or how long the oven will last.

The homeowner can continue using the oven, not worry about the crack and let us know if it gets bigger (again, something that has never happened). Here is the text in Italian, from the Artisan who makes the oven, and in our translation.

"Come tutti i forni tradizionale anche "il Forno del Nonno (Artigiano)" subisce durante il funzionamento una normale dilatazione termica che si presenta sotto forma di una piccolo crepatura in corrispondenza della cupola.

Tuttavia questo fenomeno naturale non deve preoccupare poiché non altera e non limita le caratteristiche del forno che potrete tranquillamente usare come vostra consuetudine."

As with all traditional ovens (brick), including the Artigiano, that undergo thermal expansion during operation, there is the chance that small cracks can form in the dome.

This phenomenon is normal in every way, and you do not have to worry, because these small cracks do not alter or limit the characteristics of the oven, and you can happily continue to use the oven as you would otherwise.
Thanks, mate.
I'm not too concerned. I recognize that something has to give when things expand and contract a lot. I'm used to looking at furnace and kiln re-lines that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and still drop bricks and chunks of refractory out of the liners the first time we fire them up. That's with embedded thermo-couples, rigorously monitored curing schedules, the lot, and we bring them to temperature and keep them there, not go up and down like a wood oven does.
So, I'm more amazed how well homebuilt brick ovens hold together, rather than alarmed at minor cracking.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Journeyman

Being an Aussie country bumpkin, I naturally own a whole shed full of junk that "might come in handy one day."
I keep promising myself I'll take it all down the scrap yard and get some money for it and some room to park the motorcycles and cars. Of course, I never do, coz it'll come in handy one day.
So yesterday I was poking around in the shed, when I came across this old, well used hub cap off a 1976 Holden.
Three strips of stainless steel, a few of monel rivets later, I have a chrome plated rain-cap on my oven flue.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-10022013209-small.jpg   Oven on wheels-10022013210.jpg  

Last edited by wotavidone; 02-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Journeyman

Another try.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-rain-cap.jpg  
david s likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven on wheels

Gudday
Very "kings wood"
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great recycle use.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log