Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven on wheels

The first steel stand I built for my oven was made with welded thin wall rolled hollow section 38 mm square. Thought it would be plenty, but there was too much flex in the stand and the oven weight was only 250 Kg I'm sure way lighter than what you are proposing. MY oven is only 21" int. Diam. The oven was screwed to the floor and does not move around on wheels.I now do a steel stand using 4mm thick 50 mm galv. Angle welded and there is absolutely no movement. Just make sure it's stronger than you would thinknit needs to be.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Anyone know of a hardware shop in Western Victoria that might stock Blue Circle or Cement Australia Brickies Clay? Got a mate going on holiday soon, who says he wouldn't mind picking it up on the way home."[/QUOTE]

Be careful of using bricklayers clay, sometimes also labelled as fire clay. This stuff in Australia is not fireclay. I have contacted Cement Australia who say that it is not refractory and is only designed as an addition to mortar in small quantities. On complaining that it is mislabeled they said sorry, but are unlikely to change it with only one complaint. The stuff may be suitable, but as they were unable to tell me what it contained I've decided to avoid it and use, the more expensive real fire clay from refractory suppliers.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Master Builder

Mine is 50mm square tube. Not 4mm though. Man that's heavy duty. Intention is full width cross bracing. I am not worried about the steel actually supporting the weight. I AM worried about flex. Where can I find a pic of your stand? I don't seem to do to well with the search function.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Master Builder

PS on the fireclay - I'm thinking its all about the proportions of alumina and silica? I can get that assayed. Cement Australias material data sheet DOES look a bit generic doesn't it? We write MSDS like that too. If you get too specific about the contents, then you are in all sorts of strife an individual batch falls outside the ranges you quote for each ingredient.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi hows progress?

Just checking things out with your build and I noticed an older post has just poped up intitled 'Cast oven on a shoestring'. Basically a cast oven of Forno style homebrew mortar on a steel frame formwork which has now seen service for two years. Only problem is of course it uses the dreaded Fireclay in the mix...seems like your going to crush up a few house bricks yourself.. how.. the only thing I have come across is to use the slurry left in the brickcutter?

Regards Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-25-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any unfired clay in the brew will lead to shrinkage problems if the proportion is high.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Master Builder

I've narrowed my choises down to 2. I have 30kg of commercial terracotta, or my home processed local whitish clay. It fires to a nice pale red. The bits I manage to get redhot in a gas flame don't melt, so I think it is very good for heat resistance.
However, as Davids points out, shrinkage could be an issue. I reckon the next step is a couple of test batches of homebrew mortar.
Other than tha progress is nil, unless you count the brand new length of chimney flue I bought at an auction yesterday for $5.
Nearly finished painting the house........
Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are using a sand form the shrinkage problem can be overcome by removing the sand carefully after about 3 hours after completing the dome. That way any shrinkage can take place without stressing the material. This is also the best way to avoid shrinkage cracking if building a cob oven.
Re the chimney you got, is it stainless steel? if not don't bother using it, you will only have to replace it with stainless down the track. Secondly for your sized oven you will need at least a 6" diam flue.

Last edited by david s; 09-25-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Master Builder

Got a bit of progress done. Made my frame. Decided to go with TEKS. Worked well. Haven't got the cross bracing in yet, nor have I laid in the sheet steel on which i plan to cast the vermicrete. However, I thought I'd post a couple of photos to show how far I've got. Tempted to leave out the cross bracing, because I intend to give it an aussie look by cladding it in corrugated iron. As any one who has ever built a shed will tell you, the cladding is what adds the rigidity to the frame.
Castors are rated at 100kg each. Should be enough, but when I settle on a final location, I'll probably take them off. Main uprights, and the longitutdinal brace under the tray rack are 2 inch square tube. The rest is 1 inch by 1.5 inch tube. Teks are 12 and 14 guage. The tray will give me a layer of vermicrete 3 inches thick. Not ideal, but neither is the rest of this budget build.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-dsc00037.jpg   Oven on wheels-dsc00036.jpg   Oven on wheels-dsc00035.jpg  

Last edited by wotavidone; 12-03-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: wasn't finished
Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Castors are rated at 100kg each.
Maybe so, but how will it wheel?
They might be good for a tea trolley but an oven may require a bigger dia wheel to be able to move it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.