Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven on wheels

Pictures of the Littlehampton pavers used on the dome. They look crappy, but when cut they reveal that they have no flaws inside, and the little rocks and bits of brick don't seem to be a problem, though I made sure I put the smoothest surface against the flame. I'd show a picture of the cut brick, except unbeknown to me the missus has been quietly slipping a few off-cuts in the wheelie bin each week and there are no off-cuts left to photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-12112012137-800x600-.jpg   Oven on wheels-12112012138-800x600-.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven on wheels

Gudday Mick
Thanks heaps for the reply... its more than comprehensive.
I had the lightbulb moment with your comment about pavers being "just skinny commons" commons. Brick commons are not easy to find these days and any secound hand brick commons are old and a bit a bit dodgy. Part of the reason I went the firebrick path with my own oven. I found .50 cent commons new but they were pretty poor quality very much secounds.
I will probably get out to the farm this weekend so this has got the old brain juices flowing. I had a good rethink about me mate jamie and his needs and uses for the oven. I can't see him cooking masses of bread and baking for days so thermal mass and thick floor is not probably overkill. So I recon the plan will firm up with a single layer of pavers for the hearth and a 3 to 3 1/2 in dome.
3 1/2 in dome cause the "local" clay pavers are shorter than brick size. Theres no brick saw so brick bulster and angle grinder, half sizes will cut down the amount of cuts required.
As you also said pealcrete and homebrew mortar are the cheaper but still very much proven options I recon we will use them.
Again thanks for the reply

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Master Builder

Dave,
I made pizzas tonight straight on the brick floor. I am reminded of a comment you made about your stone in your BBQ in the other thread where we were discussing stones. You commented that the pizza from the WFO was softer in texture than the pizza made on the stone in your WBER Q.
I reckon that must be a normal thing.
The pizza made straight on the pavers in my WFO was crisp, but definitely softer texture than the ones made on the stone. Its amazing how much differnt considering we are talking whether or not we use a 20mm layer of stone.
I'm thinking my paver floor is behaving about as a WFO is expected to behave. Certainly a lot better now than when I first started using it.
The wife said she preferred the crisper texture of the stone made pizzas, the middle son said he liked the brick floor jobs and the youngest son said who cares make me another bacon pizza.
Fire management was a bitch tonight. It's windy, raining, and swamp people was on TV so I wasn't anywhere near as diligent as usual. As a result temperatures were up and down like a.......
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-15112012154-800x600-.jpg   Oven on wheels-15112012153-800x600-.jpg   Oven on wheels-15112012152-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by wotavidone; 11-15-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Master Builder

Went to a birthday party last night.
A good time was had by all.
The host has a weber Q, one of those egg shaped things which is really just a (very expensive) gas fired BBQ with a lid.
He has a stone for it. Using super market flat bread (already cooked) for bases, with some rather nice toppings he kept the pizzas coming all night.
They were tasty, the burning fat from the hot plate got 'em nice and smokey, but by the time the tops were cooked, the bases were crispy crackers. Good finger food for a party, and they went well with the beer I took to the party, but I'm glad I built an oven and know how to make dough.
I do think this weberQ with stone thing would have worked pretty good with a fresh dough crust.

Last edited by wotavidone; 01-06-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Oven on wheels

Gudday Mick
readn this and pissed myself laughing......tell me you managed to keep your mouth shut....cause you would never be rude to your hosts.... but did you dob yourself in for a pizza party?.
On the point of using a webber Q yes you can tease an well... exceptable pizza out of one but on flatbread bases...I think not.
The webberQ are expensive to buy but its is the best BBq I have ever used....period.... and this would appeal to you Mick its the most frugul on Gas. I have had one for 2 years now and I havent got through the 4th 8.5 kg of bottle gas. Its on our back verandah so we use it most nights hardly ever use the stove in the kitchen at all.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Master Builder

Yeah, I was good. It was easy actually, because I work with this guy and while he was serving up the pizzas he mentioned that while he was happy with his pizzas, they weren't as good as the WFO stuff I'd brought to work for him to try. That was a great conversation starter and much appreciated, given I knew very few people at the party.
It's not like he was claiming they were the world's best or anything, and his toppings were very good, so it wasn't hard to acknowledge that he'd done a good job with the tools at hand. Honestly, if I can talk him into using fresh (uncooked) dough, he will be on a winner. These things are entirely capable of doing a very good pizza, going on what I saw on Saturday night.
I did note it got very hot under that hood according to the built-in thermometer, so yes, they don't waste a lot of energy. I reckon I'd be able to turn out some pretty reasonable tucker with a weberQ, and according to all reports, this guy's roasts are something to aspire to.

Last edited by wotavidone; 01-08-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Master Builder

P.S. so far I've chickened out on having a full size pizza party. The most I've catered for is the family plus 4 guests.
Gotta do it one day I suppose, but a few things have got to happen first.
1) I'd like to get my cooking area enclosed with lattice work so I can keep the flaming wind out
2) My dough makes good pizza, but I still find it hard to work and shape, so I still don't turn 'em out fast enough
3) I need to organise my work space yet - a decent bench a bit closer to the oven, a bigger peel so I can make party size pizzas, etc.

But, I'll get there one day.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Buy yourself some part precooked bases. That way you'll always have a pizza ready to cook and you can have half fresh bases and half precooked. You can impress your guests with how much better your own rolled out ones are. Always encourage everyone to share whatever comes out rather than cooking individual pizzas for each guest. Parties up to 30 are easy this way.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Master Builder

"What you doing?" she asked, as I fossicked through the woodpile.
"I'm looking for a stick about 8 inches long, 1 and a half inches wide, a bit of a bend in it, and not too gnarley", I mumbled
"I don't want to know any more", she said as she retreated to the house before I could finish "to use for a handle on the oven door"
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-dsc00052.jpg   Oven on wheels-dsc00053.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Knarley Dude

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door