Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven on wheels

Got another ring of bricks on. More after dark photos, unfortunately.
Two or three bricks aren't as aligned as I'd like. I may re-do those tomorrow.
I now only have a 30cm circle to fill.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven on wheels-dsc00048.jpg   Oven on wheels-dsc00049.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Master Builder

Wow now that's what you call a "double soldier" course......gotta be proud of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Master Builder

Hey Damon.
I was just about to finally confess I had no idea what the heck a "soldier course" is, when I chanced to read Dave's last post on your 2nd build thread. So. I've got a ring of vertical bricks surrounding my cooking floor. This is a soldier course? I wasn't quite sure. It appears its not the conventional way to do it these days, but I'm reasonably hopeful that by the time I add the inch of render over the outside of the whole dome, it'll all be stable enough to withstand heating and cooling. It probably looks wrong too, from the point of view of going down to the concrete slab, but my slab is made with scoria. According to the academic paper I got the mix from, it has a slightly better insulating value than vermicrete made 3:2:1 with vermiculite sand and cement.
By the time I add the render, it'll be 3 inches thick, with a 2 inch thick cooking floor. This seems to fit with the ratios of thermal mass that FB uses in their ovens, so I reckon it'll work. Its not raining this morning, so today is "close the dome" day.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its actually a sailor course.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Master Builder

......ahhh I get it (just did wiki) soldier and sailor are BOTH vertical terms

So does that mean when you shoot a sailor/soldier he ly down so out comes the stretcher

Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Master Builder

Ah! I just wiki'd it too. I see it is meant to only be decorative. OOPS! Ah well, I'm not trying to hold up a two story building with it.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I'm not a trendy either I've got an out of date oven ...its got a soldier course.
Point is that more ovens now tend to get built with the first course on the hearth itself. The soldier course was popular because it allowed you suposedly to replace any cracked hearth stone easily...guess what no one seems to need to do this. Easy method.... makes the cuts on the hearth edge easy as they don't need to be super accurate. First layer of bricks are then layed on there sides so there aren't as tall and possibly not as prone to sidward thrust.

Regards Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-24-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I always thought the idea of having the first course vertical was to allow you to have things in the oven right up to the wal to maximize floor area. To my mind running bricks vertically is encouraging cracks as they tend to always run vertically from the bottom.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
To my mind running bricks vertically is encouraging cracks as they tend to always run vertically from the bottom.
Oh dear. Despite reading lots on this forum, I didn't absorb that bit. Then I laid the sailor course thinking I was going to make the rest of the dome as a one piece casting. I changed my mind and kept going in brick, but I now realise that laying them thin edge to thin edge wasn't smart, its probably too thin for strength. This is the downside of changing your mind halfway through. I believe I will clad the dome in mortar/concrete before firing it, to try to improve the strength. I believe that I will sleep better if the cladding has reinforcing in it, too. Still pondering all that.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you'll be fine. I really like the simplicity of your build. I agree with the idea of some reinforced cladding. Go for it. If it were mine I think I'd go for home brew with stainless steel (melt extract fibres) reinforcing.

How thick are your walls now?