Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: The Orb - portable pizza oven

Jed
I solved the vent problem by leaving a 1/2 inch gap between the wall and the fire brick. I then put a vent on the bottom of the lid ( about 1 inch high and 3 inches wide. The vent is placed opposite the firebrick gap. This forces the air to move across the pizza giving you a convention affect. With the vent on the lower part of the lid it also keeps the temp up overall because the lid has to fill with hot air before escaping. When I fire mine up you don,t want to stand too close to the vent. It puts out quite a bit of heat, like standing in front of a hair dryer on steroids.
Looks great so far. You, be having pizza in no time.

Mine weights 22 pounds.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: The Orb - First Pizza! woo hoo!

The thing works!

And better than I anticipated.... Three cheers for The Orb!

Tonight we took The Orb to a pot - luck meal, and made pizza for the crowd (small crowd, but more than just the two of us). Rave reviews. The pies came out great. We cooked three.

I used full size fire brick in this oven, and it takes a bit of time to get to temperature, but after an hour of heating, I was able to get and hold nearly a 600 degree F hearth. A very blustery, 50 degree spring day, threatening rain all evening, so I propped up wood and logs to act as a wind block.

Attached pictures show The Orb, partially protected from the wind and the first pizza on the hearth.

One more post to follow after painting and any clean up details...

Thanks to the Brokencookie for the idea. We have a four day river float scheduled in a month or so, and could be the envy of the river community to have fresh quality pizza in that setting....

JED
Attached Thumbnails
The Orb - portable pizza oven-dscn2613.jpg   The Orb - portable pizza oven-dscn2616.jpg