Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Cooker

Outstanding Mod!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Serf

Hi, I copied your build vertually to a T. It works well though I can't get the fire to draw with the top kettle on and end up choking the fire too much. I had to let the fire burn down to coals before placing the top kettle on. I see in the pictures you even block the slot off with bricks. Do you have this problem at all?
Maybe I need a better wood.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Serf

Rafiki, I don't have a problem with it choking the fire out. Not sure how you did it, but I get a blazing fire going without the top on, for a good 35 minutes or longer. I start with 2 x 4's and try to pack as much hardwood in the bottom as I can, spreading it evenly. Once I put the top on, the bottom tames a bit, but I still have flames coming up the sides when I cook the pies which is usually at least 35 minutes after I put the top on. I leave all 3 vents in the bottom open, if you have yours closed try that. I would try different wood too.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Excellent looking device - what sort of temp can you get it up to?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Serf

tpd, thanks for the reply. I have changed the type of wood and have had a lot better results. Do you also leave the top vents open? I found that after things have heated up I can shut the top vents without choking the fire. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Serf

heliman - not sure about an exact temp as my cheapO infrared only goes up to 500. Once it hits "high" meaning more than 500 I let it go a little longer and start cooking.

Rafiki - yes I usually leave all vents open until it gets hot, then close the top ones. If you could post a pic of yours, I'd love to see it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

Very clever, if it works don't fix it!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Serf

Hi tpd,
If you have a look at a picture of your's it'll be like looking at a picture of mine, haha . I'll try to upload a picture asap for you.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Serf

Hi tpd,
Here are a couple of pictures of my pizza oven I copied from your design.
Attached Thumbnails
My Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Cooker-img_0159.jpg   My Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Cooker-img_0160.jpg   My Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Cooker-img_0161.jpg   My Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Cooker-img_0175.jpg   My Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Cooker-img_0176.jpg  

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Serf

Rafiki, AWESOME!!! Glad I could be an inspiration to someone. Your build looks super clean. Any concern with the full length legs and the weight of the oven? I haven't tried placing mine on the full length legs yet, just use the short ones I had cut.