Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Peasant

Default Re: My first WFO build...

The pics above were from my final firing...got it up to just shy of 1500 degrees F. Once it died down, I got ready to make some pies:

Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Peasant

More pies...I made a sausage pie, a white pie, and a veggie pie:

Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Peasant

That's as far as I got before my back started up, so it's been sitting unfinished all this time. Last weekend, I finally got it insulated using 6 parts vermiculite/perlite (50/50 mix) to one part portland cement:

Old 03-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Peasant

That brings everything up to date. Now I just need to apply finishing plaster, decorative tiles, and build a door. Then I get to test it again! Thanks for looking...it's nice to finally be finishing this thing.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: My first WFO build...

G'day
Thanks for update and the pics. The pics were great!! (and plentiful) good to see she cooks well for you. Sorry to here about the back hope it stays healed.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Peasant

First off, as someone who has had the "year of back problems" let me say that I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. The psychological toll can be worse than the physical so just make sure you keep trying things and keep working on projects like this!

Getting to the oven, I have to say than when I first saw your post I was skeptical. I'm so used to see people's CAD drawings and carefully engineered plans that it's hard to imagine that you can just sort of wing it. That being said, I'm super impressed with your results. It's a nice reminder that these types of ovens were build for thousands of years without rebar and foam templates to use.

Well done and the pies look awesome!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the replies. @MD56...you're right...the psychological toll was becoming worse than the physical. Not being able to do anything really makes you start to feel old. That's why I got right back to it as soon as I was able. It felt good to have pain in my arms and legs from working rather than just the pain in my back!

I have to admit...I'm kind of surprised it worked myself. I did some research, mostly for what kinds of materials I would need, but I essentially just kind of threw this together. I'm not really the hardcore planning type. I think if I'd gone the route that some of the much more skilled folks on here did, it would never have gotten much further than the design stages. It's good to know that some of the average Joe's like me can still come up with something workable without spending a fortune or having a ton of construction experience. She ain't pretty, but she works!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooveebuff View Post
Thanks for the replies. @MD56...you're right...the psychological toll was becoming worse than the physical. Not being able to do anything really makes you start to feel old. That's why I got right back to it as soon as I was able. It felt good to have pain in my arms and legs from working rather than just the pain in my back!

I have to admit...I'm kind of surprised it worked myself. I did some research, mostly for what kinds of materials I would need, but I essentially just kind of threw this together. I'm not really the hardcore planning type. I think if I'd gone the route that some of the much more skilled folks on here did, it would never have gotten much further than the design stages. It's good to know that some of the average Joe's like me can still come up with something workable without spending a fortune or having a ton of construction experience. She ain't pretty, but she works!
Totally! Back problems are the worst, what doesn't help is only being 29 and everyone telling me "you're too young to have back problems" well tell that to my back! Couldn't agree with you more on getting back up on the horse, I find that staying busy actually helps keep my back feeling good. It's when I sit in a chair too long or get to sedentary that I start having the problems.

Ok enough about bad backs... onto the topic at hand.

I actually think your oven looks really nice. I think part of what makes these ovens so special is that they are rustic and earthy. It reminds you that maybe technology and blue prints don't always make everything "better".

Bravo and I hope you and your family get many years of great pizza's and awesome memories out of it!