Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Peasant

Default Re: My first WFO build...

Building the clay dome:

Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Peasant

If nothing else, at least I get to take a break for a while, which my back will greatly appreciate. Now all there is to do is wait...wait for it to dry, empty the sand, and fire it a little at a time to cure it. Then insulation and finishing plaster. Hopefully I'll have good news and more photos in a couple of weeks. Thanks for looking!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Because the clay will shrink, you need to remove the sand ASAP or the dome will crack because it has no room to move. It will take a long time to dry.Normally pottery needs a week to dry before firing, your walls are many times thicker, so will need way longer.Did you use any straw or sand in the mix?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Peasant

I was hoping to let it dry for a few days just to ensure it will hold its shape before removing the sand and letting it dry completely...is that still going to cause me problems? I expect some cracks, I'm just hoping to avoid it splitting in half. Of course, it rains like 3 times a year here and it just has to be cloudy and raining since I finished the dome! Two good sunny days in a row and I imagine I could clear the sand out.

The mixture is actually more sand than clay, although it looks like it's mostly clay. It's Muddox fire clay mixed with 3 parts sand (fine, medium, and coarse). I did not use any straw with this attempt.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The sand in the mix will reduce the shrinkage, but it will also reduce the drying rate. As soon as it begins to dry and the surface feels firm it will be shrinking. It won't collapse because of its form. Get the sand out ASAP. If it were mine I'd be leaving it three weeks before thinking about any fires.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: My first WFO build...

Gudday
Beg to differ David but from what I have read (and no I have had no personial experience with mud ovens). After removing the mold sand small fires of straw and thin twigs are used to dry the oven out from the inside out. From what I understand its a drying process rather than actually firering the clay. I can't give a link to help but I believe this warrants further investigation

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are lighting fires in the oven, you are firing the clay. But you need to get it to 573 C to make the clay permanent (won't return to mud if made wet) Apart from the surface at the apex of the dome a WFO is unlikely to get that hot. The drying fires are only driving the water out, but as the flame is difficult to control it is probably prudent to allow wind and sun to do most of the work safely for you. Water in thick pots or sculptural clay work has a tendency to explode (blowing) at around 250 C it may look dry but water suddenly turning to steam in the centre splits the wall neatly in half. Exactly the same thing can happen to a cob oven if there is substantial water sitting in the middle of the wall.

Last edited by david s; 12-15-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday David
I suppose this practice like others ....crushed glass as insulation etc should be viewd as "folk law "rather than best practice

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday David
I suppose this practice like others ....crushed glass as insulation etc should be viewd as "folk law "rather than best practice

Regards dave
Yes, I agree with you, ultimately, whatever works, works. There are many ways to get to the end point of having a workable oven and this is what makes it such a fascinating obsession.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Peasant

Hi All! I imagine nobody noticed that I fell of the face of the Earth for over a year,
but for those of you that were following my thread, I apologize.
I've had some serious back issues that have had me down for the count for all this time,
but things are getting better. I did get the sand cleared out of the dome,
got it dried/cured, built a few fires in it, and even made some pies to test it out.
Here's picking up where I left off but never posted:

Last edited by Mooveebuff; 03-23-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Needed to resize the photos.