Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build

Pumpkin pizza? Ahhhh.......... maybe not.

Mark
Old 06-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

Pumpkin Pizza! That almost sounds like a challenge. Perhaps you par bake the pumpkin then caramelize some 1/4 wedges, fresh wild mushrooms, sausage, a sprinkle of craisens, hint of nutmeg. Set all the ingredients on a par baked crust bushed with rosemary olive oil. Thinking about what cheese might work. Five more months to think about it. With a forum this large there should be plenty of good ideas.
Cheers,
John
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceloven View Post
Pumpkin pizza? Ahhhh.......... maybe not.

Mark
Pumpkin Bread!!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you used pumkin puree instead of water for the dough? Could be quite nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Regarding Johns pumpkin pizza, Gruyere cheese has a special affinity for caramelized sweet pumpkin (at least in soups) so I imagine it'd be great on pizza.

Toby: looking really nice and professional on the stand. It looks like a nice corner for the oven and outdoor kitchen too. I couldn't concentrate on the WFO build AND the vegetable garden but your pumpkin planting is good reminder to get going on it. I'm running out today at lunch time to buy baby sugar pumpkin seeds! Thanks for sharing , Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Laborer

Thanks Dino for the professional comment. Luckily, I didn't include any zoomed in shots.

To help with drainage, I wanted to slope the hearth a bit to the front. Well, I succeed in that for sure. A few evenings ago, I put down my insulation board (3" of insblock19), and I needed to add a decent amount of sand to get it level. But, all and all, I think it turned out pretty good.

Picked up some firebricks yesterday, so I hope to start on the floor this afternoon. Woohoo!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Laborer

The HF 10" wet saw may be the coolest tool I have ever used! Super nice Nikki let me borrow hers, and with a new blade, I was amazed at how easily it cuts through those bricks. I was also really surprised at how quiet it was; I was expecting it to be much louder.

Here are a few pics of my progress.
- There are 2 pics of the floor, which is sitting on 3" of insblock19.
- There is also a pic of a simple mockup of my firegrill, which will sit to the left of the oven. It's an old planter, and I was thinking i could stack some firebricks directly on the dirt and then the grill and be done. Well, after the mockup and test cook, I've decided to do it more permanently, by pouring a slab and building up from there. So, that will come later after the WFO is done.
- The last pic is how I attempt to survive the Arizona sun.
Attached Thumbnails
My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-floor.jpg   My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-floor-2.jpg   My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-firegrill-dry-run.jpg   My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-beating-az-sun.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Journeyman

Fabulous progress! The planter looks like a natural conversion to a nice built-in grill.

Is the kiddie pool actually being used by your daughter, or have you stolen it for soaking bricks? There's a fine tradition here of stealing our children's toys for oven building. ;-)
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modthyrth View Post
Fabulous progress! The planter looks like a natural conversion to a nice built-in grill.

Is the kiddie pool actually being used by your daughter, or have you stolen it for soaking bricks? There's a fine tradition here of stealing our children's toys for oven building. ;-)
Well, she was using it that day as a sandbox, but I have a feeling it's going to "borrowed" to use to make my clay mixture.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Laborer

The soldier course was completed on Saturday, and I did my best to keep it moist and in the shade (kind of difficult here in AZ), but I still have several cracks. You can see some closeups in the first two pics.

Is this normal, or something to worry about? Is this course still structurally sound? Will it help to put another layer of mortar around the outside of the bricks?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-cracks_1.jpg   My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-cracks_2.jpg   My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-soldier-course-closeup.jpg   My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build-soldier-course.jpg  

Last edited by charger10s; 06-26-2009 at 12:42 PM.