Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Option 2 is nice. #1 looks like a tool box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
true...still trying to figure out how they got that brown finish.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
true...still trying to figure out how they got that brown finish.
When in doubt, there's always Google.....

http://www.copper.org/publications/p.../pdf/a1081.pdf

4 Ways to Darken Copper - wikiHow

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Stonecutter,
Both statements are true,.......... but:

JoeyV,

You might want to think about who is your "target clientele", and what types of gatherings you will be selling pies. For a barrel vault design, you can't go wrong with diamond plate if you are trying to draw the attention of "rednecks", like me The more refined, (Like my wife for instance), would be drawn to the copper .

If you incorporate either finish in say, in an igloo, you are going to get the attention of both camps .

Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Stonecutter,
Both statements are true,.......... but:

JoeyV,

You might want to think about who is your "target clientele", and what types of gatherings you will be selling pies. For a barrel vault design, you can't go wrong with diamond plate if you are trying to draw the attention of "rednecks", like me The more refined, (Like my wife for instance), would be drawn to the copper .

If you incorporate either finish in say, in an igloo, you are going to get the attention of both camps .
Yet another take...

Wood fired food will draw everyone and anyone, but the pull is from what is coming out of it, and that is what really matters.

Great food will trump any finish out there.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Journeyman

ok, welp now I feel stoopid, didn't even realize that was copper.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Serf

JoeyVelderrain I am glad you came back to give us a long term update. I was wondering if casting the dome would stand the test of time. I just happened to get my hands on a full skid of castable AR134 so I am going to start my project next week!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B. View Post
JoeyVelderrain I am glad you came back to give us a long term update. I was wondering if casting the dome would stand the test of time. I just happened to get my hands on a full skid of castable AR134 so I am going to start my project next week!
great! don't forget the pictures!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
great! don't forget the pictures!!!
I will post pictures! I may try to put dividers in the casting so that it comes apart in 3 pieces. Any worries about doing this? The reason I want to do this is because I need to move this hulking mass to my cottage where the final installation will take place. My cottage can only be accessed by boat in the summertime. I figure it will be much easier to build the dome (in three 200 lb sections) in the warmth of my garage now and then bring it to camp by snowmobile while there is ice on the water. At least with the snowmobile I can bring it directly to the spot where I want to build the oven. The rest of the construction won't begin until the snow is gone in early April.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B. View Post
I will post pictures! I may try to put dividers in the casting so that it comes apart in 3 pieces. Any worries about doing this? The reason I want to do this is because I need to move this hulking mass to my cottage where the final installation will take place. My cottage can only be accessed by boat in the summertime. I figure it will be much easier to build the dome (in three 200 lb sections) in the warmth of my garage now and then bring it to camp by snowmobile while there is ice on the water. At least with the snowmobile I can bring it directly to the spot where I want to build the oven. The rest of the construction won't begin until the snow is gone in early April.
nice! if I had to do it all over again I think I would go the way your thinking, I seen someone on here build theirs this way and it turned out pretty well...I can't remember who that was.
Or you could attach two snowboards to the bottom of the dome and tow it behind the snow machine!

Tags
refractory cement