Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Serf

Default Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

I live on the west coast of florida, the home of 100% humidity.... Look around a bit more..arnt half of the homes around you stucco?

Anyway, yes, chicken wire or .........wire lath for stucco! Good luck on that one if you dont have stucco. The mesh is finer than chicken wire and it has a built in moisture barrier thats made of paper.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrick View Post
I live on the west coast of florida, the home of 100% humidity.... Look around a bit more..arnt half of the homes around you stucco?

Anyway, yes, chicken wire or .........wire lath for stucco! Good luck on that one if you dont have stucco. The mesh is finer than chicken wire and it has a built in moisture barrier thats made of paper.
No, I have yet to see a stucco home here in my 23 years of living here. Here it is either brick or siding. In Arizona pretty much 98% stucco.

Anyways I didn't realize how difficult this perlcrete would be to work with vertically. Is stucco easier? does it stick better?
I also miscaculated the amount I needed. Here is a couple pictures that show how far I got before I ran out of materials.

I am definetely going to need stucco. I guess I may have to order this stuff online.

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 01-12-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Journeyman

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Serf

Joey,

How about building a frame around the oven and "housing" it in? You could do an "A" frame which would minimize the drag. Then you could fill from the top of lose perlite or vermiculite. Its a small oven that is going to be used for short periods of time. You dont need or want a ton of thermal mass..IMO.

I just want your oven.... Drive it down here and I will stucco it for ya while you build me a replica! I need an oven I can take to work with me.

Rick
Old 01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Journeyman

Yu got a deal Rick! as soon as the Saints win the Superbowl I will head down there trailer in tow.

How about a copperclad dome like this one instead of stucco?
Shouldn''t be too difficult to fab.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Joey,,
THe Quikrete product is called Surface Bonding Cement.... Very easy to work with, and you can finish it with either a sponge or a trowel,, It will also add structural strength, Its reinforced with fiberglass fibers... QUIKRETE® - QUIKWALL® Surface Bonding Cement I added the acrylic fortifier for waterproofing as well as adding color.....

If Home Depot by you doesnt carry it,Go to their pro desk and they will order it in for you at no extra charge,,

and you can apply it directly to the pericrete, without wire,,

p.s. your doing a great job.... looks good

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 01-13-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 AM
Journeyman

Mark! you're a lifesaver.
thank you! thank you! thank you!

now i don't have to go to florida!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Journeyman

Allright, almost done insulating the oven. When I get done tomorrow I will have about 5" to 6" of perlcrete all the way around. The perlcrete is definetely changing the look of the oven.

here is a collage of before, during and after pictures.

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 01-14-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey joe,,
your wecome. you can use the SBC over the oven and all around the entrance, Quikrete told me it would take temperatures to 600 degrees.... Its taking a nice shape....

good luck
Mark
Old 01-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Serf

Joey, I have used the Quikrete product many times. My last project was to waterproof the basement. One quick coat (about 1/4 to 3/8 thick stopped the water. While I was still building houses a hardware store had a stack of block on the floor with one coat of Quikrete applied and you could pick up the entire stack without any mortar. Great product for strength and even better to retard water. Your oven looks great!!

Tags
refractory cement