Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

I also got the walls all stacked up and square, and the formwork & reinforcing in place. I also poured the concrete into the wall cavities, but sorry no photos of this.

Next job is to make the form for the vault ceiling, and then some brick cutting to make the bevel on the opening, and also to cut the bases of the vault where they will join on to the top of the walls.

Not long to go now before I have it closed in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Starting to get closer to seeing the oven take shape.
Keep those pics coming
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchamus View Post
rather than the more time consuming 'herringbone' style which is so popular with Pompei builders.
Quote:
I also poured the concrete into the wall cavities.
Two things that in time you may regret, the hearth bricks will move over time but if they are laid diagonally they dont seem to pose such a problem to the peel as bricks laid at 180 degrees do.

Extra thermal mass added with concrete, even if you own a forest of wood the heat up time will inhibit your oven use.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-24-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Journeyman

I disagree, there will only be 2" of extra thermal mass all over, which is what FB recommend for multiple bake sessions (which is what I want to do).

On the diagonal issue, haven't had any issues on the previous oven at all- I think it's a non-issue really...

And as luck would have it - I do have a forest of firewood
Saovicente likes this.

Last edited by Mitchamus; 11-25-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I disagree, there will only be 2" of thermal mass all over,
But the bricks are 4" to start with so where do you get the 2" from or did you mean 2' (foot)?

I really dont give a flying fruck if your oven works or not, Im just trying to save those that follow the heart hake of doing it wrong......

Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Journeyman

Um- the bricks are 3" not 4- same as a Pompeii, but with an extra 2" of cladding- as is recommended in the Pompeii plans. When I say extra thermal mass, I don't include the firebricks in that as it's 'extra'

You seem to be having a hard time comprehending what I'm doing. I don't know if you have a problem there or not, but it seems you just can't a grasp of what's going on.

I'm not intentionally trying to be rude or anything, and this is the last reply I'll make to you regardless of what you reply in return.

But- thanks for your input so far, but perhaps you time would be better spent helping someone else?

No hard feelings...

Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mitchamus,

From your recent pics it looks like you intend to build the vault on top of the end walls. This is recommended practice for a barrel vault in kiln building. If the end walls are outside the vault when it expands with heat it puts pressure on those end walls, pushing the them out.
Although the temperatures we fire to are around half that of a kiln and the resulting expansion correspondingly less, the principle still applies for a WFO.

Dave
Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Journeyman

Hi Dave,

The plans call for the vault arches to be built inside the back wall, rather than on top, but the whole vault is encased in 2" of reinforced concrete.

The rear wall bricks are just dry stacked, and not bonded to the vaults, so there can be a little bit of wiggle room there under expansion.

cheers,
Mitch.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Hi Dave,

The plans call for the vault arches to be built inside the back wall, rather than on top, but the whole vault is encased in 2" of reinforced concrete.

The rear wall bricks are just dry stacked, and not bonded to the vaults, so there can be a little bit of wiggle room there under expansion.

cheers,
Mitch.
OK, follow the plans then.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I just thought I'd point out that brickies oven is not a dome but a barrel oven. It would be worth it to check it out. It is his secound oven and it makes an interesting read and you can figure out his position on ovens
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Tags
3rd generation, barrell, masterly tail, rado, vault