Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Serf

Default Re: Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build

We did a test build, using a standard concrete mix, to see if hand casting the refractory layer was feasible. In my opinion, it is not. The refractory material is expensive and I have little control in preventing gravity from fattening the bottom of the layer toward the floor. A form is definitely needed. In that regard, this link is inspiring: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...rill-2207.html (Casting Refractory - This is NOT a drill!)
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_9894_s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_9900_s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_9902_s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_9904_s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_9916_s.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you mix the castable up withbthe correct water content it will be stiff enough to stand up vertically. It does it better than a normal concrete brew would. It can be done without an outside mould, but you can't vibrate it or it will slump. With care you can create a good dome in one piece with very few voids.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Serf

"to see if hand casting the refractory layer was feasible. In my opinion, it is not".......Looks pretty good to me, especially for a first attempt.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Serf

to see if hand casting the refractory layer was feasible. In my opinion, it is not".......

looks darn good to me shoot if that was refrac crete i would be cooking in it now....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Serf

Overkill is understating it.

Finally finished with the form for the refractory layer. A couple finishing touches, and it's time to pour.

If I ever build another one (hoping so), I think I'll use sand for the inner form. The inner form will be sacrificed after the pour. The outer form might be reusable.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_1106_8x6.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_1107_8x6.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_1111_8x6.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_1113_8x6.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_1115_8x6.jpg  

Min-Wei and tony_mcbrice like this.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Apprentice

wow, that's a work of art on it's own. Shame to get it dirty, How is the door/entrance to be formed
? Good luck and good work.
See my build at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/43/f...day-16182.html and http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/43/f...ild-17613.html
If I can help in any way please don't hesitate to contact. Thank you
Kokopelli Pizza likes this.

Last edited by sonomacast; 04-29-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, that's hours and hours of work to make a mould. i don't think the effort is worth it for a single casting and a timber mould really takes a beating every time you make a casting, so it doesn't last too long for multiple castings.
Make sure you use some kind of release agent and vibration when you place the mix.
A small orbital sander without the sandpaper does a reasonable job for this.
Also don't mix up more than one 25 Kg bag at a time because the stuf goes off pretty quickly.Use chilled water if it's a hot day.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomacast View Post
....snip....How is the door/entrance to be formed
? Good luck and good work....snip....
Sonomacast, you are so tactful.... Rasorface, you need to save that mold for me, its a work of art like David s says
Kokopelli Pizza likes this.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Tags
hand formed, mobile, mobile oven, oven