Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Serf

Default Re: Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build

I centered the oven over the axle. Now you got me thinking I should have moved the COG a little more toward the front. I'll be testing out this aspect as I build it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Journeyman

The more popular trailer builder puts his ovens as you have it... maybe a little more outwards, but not much different.

I had heard somebody say they bought an oven because their insurance company said they wouldn't have insured a home built one. Maybe that was just that particular company, but it was news to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Peasant

when i built mine it was centered over the wheels. I wish I would have favored the tongue side slightly because it is so even weighted you can tip it backwards way too easy. I haven't put a kickstand on it yet but this spring I will.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Serf

Installed dome anchor bolts and poured slab.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_7757_s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_7768s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_7780_s.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Serf

Installed 2" FB Insulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_7796s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_7797s.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_7799s.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Serf

I have been trying to read as much as I can about mobile oven builds. I hope to start one soon. (Going to try to weld up a trailer first)

I have a question about your anchors - aren't those going to act like heat sinks and pull heat right into the metal frame?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Serf

I am building the dome using three or four layers. The inner layer will be about 1.5-3 inches thick and will be comprised of refractory concrete. The next layer will be an insulation layer. It will be comprised of a standard concrete mix with insulation beads replacing the gravel or sand. The next layer will be a structural layer which will be a standard concrete mix. The anchors will be embedded in this layer. They will be bent to accommodate the curve of the shell. I may or may not top the last layer with stucco or some other sort of protective barrier.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

For the dome insulation use vermiculite or perlite mixed with cement no richer than 10:1 When you say insulating beads I hope you didn't mean polystyrene. They will burn and melt and create nasty toxic gases. This mixture insulation layer should be around 4" thick and needs to be purged of moisture before doing the next outer layer.I find the best way is to do a layer about 2" thick then leave it for a week to dry before doing the next layer. Blanket is easier but more expensive and toxic.

Last edited by david s; 08-01-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Serf

Thanks, David. Yeah, I didn't mean polystyrene. Thanks for the drying tip. I will certainly do it.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Serf

I neglected to post some pictures of the fire brick layer of the floor. This was done back in early April. The grout job didn't come out as nice as I would have liked.

Yesterday, my wife and I did a trial run of hand forming the oven dome over a sand form. We used a standard 1:2:3 concrete mix for the test. I didn't take pictures of the process, but will post some pictures of the finished test.

This was very educational for us and we will do some things differently for the real thing. For example, hand forming around the door form was not without problems. A different solution is being formulated. We're so glad we did this test run.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_8182_4x3.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_8184_4x3.jpg   Mobile Hand-Formed Dome Oven Build-img_8187_4x3.jpg  

Tags
hand formed, mobile, mobile oven, oven