Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mini Forno: The Homebrew mix experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I do know about that thread. That builder used a rebar frame which is not the same approach being discussed here. I don't see it as the same approach anyway. And there are many more examples of castable ovens successfully built out of refractory cement than homebrew, if you want to cite evidence points. But my main point is that mortar is not a structural material, nor is it meant to be.

You can build an oven out of a pile of elephant manure and clay, I guess. Up to the builder. But the conversation deserves an accurate assessment of the appropriateness of the material. Personally, if I was going to go to all the trouble of building forms to build a cast oven, I would spend the couple hundred extra to get the right material for the job. But that is just me.
Where have you been? There was more than one thread about using this mix for casting...I thought you had joined in too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This one got interesting....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/di...tml#post163045 (DIY castable refractory)

Note my comment about elephant crap in #33...your comment made me remember that thread.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Where have you been? There was more than one thread about using this mix for casting...I thought you had joined in too.
As I said, I'm no expert on such matters, so I usually don't chime in on this sort of thing. Just was surprised that those with actual expertise had not chimed in.

Funny about the elephant crap comment.

Tags
3.1.1.1, homebrew, mini