Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First time 41" clay/homebrew oven.

Gudday
If there is not enough lip there to hold the thickness of insulation that you need put a strip of oiled wood there. Build your insulation on that you can remove it later and the insulation will stay in place
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Just my thought but I would expect that heat would leak more easily at the point of less insulation but I doubt that it would be the escape point to allow a mass exodus of heat from the oven.

I guess that the real answer is to load it up with insulation to the max in the first place.
I tend to agree. If there is a heap of insulation in the first place, and its cheap anyway ("perlcrete"), then there is nothing to worry about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
If there is not enough lip there to hold the thickness of insulation that you need put a strip of oiled wood there. Build your insulation on that you can remove it later and the insulation will stay in place
Regards dave
Good idea. I was thinking of ways to add some brackets to the bricks to add something more permanent as I thought the insulation may be a weak brittle covering. However the oiled timber that could be removed would do the job anyway as there is no real traffic behind the oven to bump it anyway.

As to the next step, myself and my youngest are going to a rural buying store nearby to pick up a bag of perlite tomorrow ($23 for 100 litres). I might hook up the trailer and seek out some firewood at the same time.

Last edited by sandybits; 07-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybits View Post
myself and my youngest are going to a rural buying store nearby to pick up a bag of perlite tomorrow ($23 for 100 litres).
Thats a good price, for the same sized bag of vermiculite I pay around the $30 mark.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Thats a good price, for the same sized bag of vermiculite I pay around the $30 mark.
That was over the phone and for a medium grade (from memory) as I didn't know which one to use at the time (I still don't - hence why I just logged on). The vermiculite was more expensive, albeit only $3 more. So still slightly cheaper. I must be close to a mine

I just want to fire this thing up.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Get both perlite and vermiculite. As you want a weak mix that will insulate well, a 50/50 mix of vermicrete/perlite, 10:1 makes a more workable mix than either of them alone.

If you are not using blanket and the vermicrete is your only insulation then you need to make it around 100 mm thick. To assist it to dry do it in three or four layers with a week between each because for every 100 litres it will take around 30 L water and that's a lot to remove, especially if you cover it over with more.

Last edited by david s; 07-16-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Get both perlite and vermiculite. As you want a weak mix that will insulate well, a 50/50 mix of vermicrete/perlite, 10:1 makes a more workable mix than either of them alone.

If you are not using blanket and the vermicrete is your only insulation then you need to make it around 100 mm thick. To assist it to dry do it in three or four layers with a week between each because for every 100 litres it will take around 30 L water and that's a lot to remove, especially if you cover it over with more.
Thanks David. Is it best practice to cure the oven after all the vermicrete/perlcrete has gone off? Or do we just need to wait for the thermal layer to dry out? Or some combo of layering and curing? Also, is there any need to keep the insulation layer from binding to the thermal layer, like a blanket would? Cheers all.

Last edited by sandybits; 07-16-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks David. Is it best practice to cure the oven after all the vermicrete/perlcrete has gone off? Or do we just need to wait for the thermal layer to dry out? Or some combo of layering and curing? Also, is there any need to keep the insulation layer from binding to the thermal layer, like a blanket would? Cheers all.
I prefer to do the curing fires after doing the vermicrete layers. Put the vermicrete directly on to your thermal layer. If you didn't add any burn out fibres to your mix you will have to go super slow to prevent steam explosions.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I prefer to do the curing fires after doing the vermicrete layers. Put the vermicrete directly on to your thermal layer. If you didn't add any burn out fibres to your mix you will have to go super slow to prevent steam explosions.
Burn out fibres. I missed that one. Is that sisal rope? Ahh, the first build. I'm learning so much.

Picked up a bag a vermiculite and perlite, 100 litre each. $49 all up. Should be more than I need.

As a bit of an aside I did some calculations to work out the surface area of my dome. Noone probably cares about this stuff but I thought I'd add it as its part of my build.

At the narrowest the radius of my dome is 570mm and at the biggest it is 635mm. That is measuring the inside and adding the pavers plus thermal layer. This gives me a surface area (after diving the result by 2 as its a dome not a sphere) of between 2.04 square metres (m2) and 2.53 m2. At 100mm thick insulation layer I need between 0.2 cubic metres (m3) and 0.25 m3. Or 200 litres to 250 litres of material.

At a 10 to 1 ratio (vermiculite/perlite to cement) I get between 0.19m3 and 0.23m3 of vermicultie/perlite and 0.02m3 of cement. A 20kg bag of cement is 0.01m3 or 10 litres so I need 2 bags of cement and probably all of the bags of 'lite. Lucky I grabbed 2

Now I've got to go and work out how to tell if the bags of cement I have in the shed have gone off or not.

Cheers.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You will lose about 20% of volume on mixing the vermiculite or perlite.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Now I've got to go and work out how to tell if the bags of cement I have in the shed have gone off or not.

Fore the price of a bag of cement just chuck it out and get a fresh bag.

Tags
clay oven, home brew, new build