Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First time 41" clay/homebrew oven.

However you do it you want to make sure that water will not enter the flue from the top. It may be easier to make a butterfly valve that fits in lower down the flue pipe.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybits View Post
When I asked the guy at my local BBQs Galore he told me that these were illegal.

How could they be illegal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
If its near the 63 per cent a damper might be overkill?
If its a true Alan Watt oven the flue sits inside the oven so it needs a damper to help retain any heat.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
What is the flue hieght from the hearth floor in comparison to the main dome height to hearth floor? If its near the 63 per cent a damper might be overkill?
Regards dave
I just checked actual measurements. I must have got a little sag in the sand mold as the measurements now stand at:
dome height: 480mm
flue intake height: 310mm
door height: 260mm
So the flue to dome (from the hearth) is 65%, well it really 64.6% but who is counting

So having a flue basically replaces the dome to door height ratio of 63%? Is it dome to first available opportunity for gas to escape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
However you do it you want to make sure that water will not enter the flue from the top. It may be easier to make a butterfly valve that fits in lower down the flue pipe.
I was trying to avoid this as sounded complicated. For some reason I was picturing putting something like this in the middle of the flue. I know, I don't know what I was thinking either

But as you said lower down the flue pipe makes more sense anyway. I could probably rig something up. I just need to look around for something suitable to block the air flow and insulate against too much heat loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
How could they be illegal?
I have no idea The dude seemed a bit strange. I'm pretty sure my explanation may have been a bit confusing. "It's like a hinged cap thingy with a chain so you can alter the opening and fix it in place."

Quote:
If its a true Alan Watt oven the flue sits inside the oven so it needs a damper to help retain any heat.
It is true as in it is basically modelled off the "low-tech" with a bit of my modification (because I can't help myself). These modification came from reading here.

Cheers all.

Last edited by sandybits; 07-15-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: combined multi posts into one
Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I just checked actual measurements. I must have got a little sag in the sand mold as the measurements now stand at:
dome height: 480mm
flue intake height: 310mm
door height: 260mm
So the flue to dome (from the hearth) is 65%, well it really 64.6% but who is counting

So having a flue basically replaces the dome to door height ratio of 63%? Is it dome to first available opportunity for gas to escape?

Cheers.
The golden mean is taken from flue exit to dome height, so........you are at 55%, itll still work.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 AM
Peasant

Quote:
The golden mean is taken from flue exit to dome height, so........you are at 55%, itll still work.
Hey brickie, my calcs say 65% but I'm probably confusing my terms and definitions here. My flue sits inside my dome, as you mentioned, and where the flue opens up is is 310mm from the hearth. So where the smoke turns up from inside the dome to head straight up is 310mm.

However the door opening height is 55% of the dome height. This would seem to ignore the flue.

Just trying to understand

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Hey brickie, my calcs say 65% but I'm probably confusing my terms and definitions here. My flue sits inside my dome, as you mentioned, and where the flue opens up is is 310mm from the hearth. So where the smoke turns up from inside the dome to head straight up is 310mm.

However the door opening height is 55% of the dome height. This would seem to ignore the flue.

Just trying to understand

Thanks for the help.
That will still work ok, to cook pizza if you maintain an active fire on the side, but if you want to do retained heat roasting or baking (with fire removed) you will need a damper. Without one you will lose heat out of the flue and as soon as you open the door cold air will rush in and the hot air from the oven will all escape skywards.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
So in the meantime slide a piece of tile over the pipe till you find someone to fabricate a truck exhurst flap, chain thingy and enjoy you oven
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Peasant

Thanks guys. I will just chuck something up there until I can get a more permanent, efficient option.

On another note I was wondering how much heat can be lost out the very back end of the oven? I have posted a pic below showing the rear end of my oven. In an effort to get a bigger oven I ended up with my soldier course of pavers almost on the edge of the platform. I couldn't even get my thermal layer to stick as there was just nothing for it to sit on.

I can take the insulation layer right back down to the fibro above the brick base but it might get pretty thin around those pavers.

So the question is: if there is a weak point in your insulation, where it is particularly thin, will the heat try to escape there regardless of where it is? I guess water will leak out of a bucket no matter where the hole. Is that the same with heat?

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
First time 41" clay/homebrew oven.-1-img_1857.jpg  

Last edited by sandybits; 07-15-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Master Builder

Just my thought but I would expect that heat would leak more easily at the point of less insulation but I doubt that it would be the escape point to allow a mass exodus of heat from the oven.

I guess that the real answer is to load it up with insulation to the max in the first place.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

Tags
clay oven, home brew, new build