Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Other Oven Types (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/)
-   -   External Firebox (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/external-firebox-19833.html)

dimitrisbizakis 08-25-2013 04:13 AM

External Firebox

4 Attachment(s)
Does anyone tryied to make an external WFO Firebox?
I know it's not for high heat pizza making but i think it will help at cooking and bread making.

Here's the whole idea designed to Sketchup,
Firebox rushes high heat and clean fire in to the dome,the dome now is used like a combustion chamber, as tha gasses cools down lowers to the bottom of the dome they go out from the opening below and out from the chimney.
You can see the door for checking and loading the food's.

Do you thing worth the try?

TropicalCoasting 08-25-2013 05:23 AM

Re: External Firebox

Looks like a cross between a rocket stove and this
Grover Chimney Oven Oven (part 1) - YouTube

dimitrisbizakis 08-25-2013 05:29 AM

Kind of but the firebox can take logs in it, not sticks of wood and the rocket stove oven you showed on the video does not have a chamber to keep hot gas.

brickie in oz 08-26-2013 12:38 AM

The losses will be great and make the project fuel hungry.

david s 08-26-2013 03:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a design for a small raku kiln made from uninsulated cob which fired successfully to around 1050 C.(double the temp you need). I can't see why you would have any trouble achieving pizza temperatures with a similar set up. Because it is a downdraft system the flue had to be enlarged to 8". If you use a cross draft system a 6" flue should be plenty.There are plenty of ways such a system can be made efficient.

dimitrisbizakis 08-28-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 160326)
The losses will be great and make the project fuel hungry.

Losses from where?
The whole exterior part will be double layer with insulation.

dimitrisbizakis 08-28-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 160334)
Here is a design for a small raku kiln made from uninsulated cob which fired successfully to around 1050 C.(double the temp you need). I can't see why you would have any trouble achieving pizza temperatures with a similar set up. Because it is a downdraft system the flue had to be enlarged to 8". If you use a cross draft system a 6" flue should be plenty.There are plenty of ways such a system can be made efficient.

hi David, that's the actual way that Russian stoves work, your plan has one bell(chamber) and a firebox.
I have seem commercial baking oven that uses that way of lightning and i can't see why we can use this for a fuel efficient way of making our home ovens.
Except from the floor of course, the floor need to be different.
david, do you thing that with that way we could use the WFO as a kiln to?

brickie in oz 08-28-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis (Post 160285)
Does anyone tryied to make an external WFO Firebox?
I know it's not for high heat pizza making but i think it will help at cooking and bread making.

Here's the whole idea designed to Sketchup,
Firebox rushes high heat and clean fire in to the dome,the dome now is used like a combustion chamber, as tha gasses cools down lowers to the bottom of the dome they go out from the opening below and out from the chimney.
You can see the door for checking and loading the food's.

Do you thing worth the try?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis (Post 160506)
Losses from where?
The whole exterior part will be double layer with insulation.

And you stated insulation where, I must of missed it? :confused:

david s 08-28-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis (Post 160507)
hi David, that's the actual way that Russian stoves work, your plan has one bell(chamber) and a firebox.
I have seem commercial baking oven that uses that way of lightning and i can't see why we can use this for a fuel efficient way of making our home ovens.
Except from the floor of course, the floor need to be different.
david, do you thing that with that way we could use the WFO as a kiln to?

Dimi,
I think you would have to arrange it so the flame path came up the sides and the back rather than having holes in the floor. Build one and see how it goes. When firing kilns they don't fire so well if empty. This would be the situation with an oven set up such as this.
Good luck,
Dave

PS I've tried a few different WFO designs and now only build hemispheres with a front flue, independent of the oven chamber as in traditional Italian ovens. 2000 years of Italian ingenuity and new builders still think they (me too) can build a better one.Ther. E must have been umpteen generations of Italians who have tried alternative designs and most still come back to tradition because it works really well.

dimitrisbizakis 08-28-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 160508)
And you stated insulation where, I must of missed it? :confused:

You are right Brikie i didn't stated somewhere because insulation is a standard feature for any kind of rocket stove or any other masonry stove.