#11  
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 AM
dimitrisbizakis's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 132
Default Re: External Firebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Dimi,
I think you would have to arrange it so the flame path came up the sides and the back rather than having holes in the floor.
If you see my sketch up mode, the firebox is connected to a WFO door that blasts the heat and gasses in the middle of the dome, i think that i'll point it to hit the center of the floor better.
Then the gasses that get colder than other drops down and out from under the door and up to the chimney of the arch.
I has the same principles as your raku kiln.
I just wanted to ask if someone tried this so i won't waste my time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 AM
brickie in oz's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Whittlesea
Posts: 3,455
Default Re: External Firebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
You are right Brikie i didn't stated somewhere because insulation is a standard feature for any kind of rocket stove or any other masonry stove.
Really?......

Then why do we get so many oven builders coming on this forum after a build to ask why their oven isnt getting hot and takes a mountain of firewood just to get warm?
__________________
The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 AM
dimitrisbizakis's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 132
Default Re: External Firebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Really?......
Then why do we get so many oven builders coming on this forum after a build to ask why their oven isn't getting hot and takes a mountain of firewood just to get warm?
Maybe because i was talking about insulation standards on rocket stoves and masonry stoves, not wood ovens.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 AM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 4,841
Default Re: External Firebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
If you see my sketch up mode, the firebox is connected to a WFO door that blasts the heat and gasses in the middle of the dome, i think that i'll point it to hit the center of the floor better.
Then the gasses that get colder than other drops down and out from under the door and up to the chimney of the arch.
I has the same principles as your raku kiln.
I just wanted to ask if someone tried this so i won't waste my time.
So what happens when you get the oven up to pizza temp and you want to open the door to place a pizza? I presume you would have to let the fire die or your pizza will get cremated. You need to keep an active fire going on the side and the door open so you can see the thing cooking. Not saying it won't work, but there could be problems. Or maybe you use it exclusively to cook other things rather than pizza.

Last edited by david s; 08-29-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 AM
dimitrisbizakis's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 132
Default Re: External Firebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
So what happens when you get the oven up to pizza temp and you want to open the door to place a pizza? I presume you would have to let the fire die or your pizza will get cremated. You need to keep an active fire going on the side and the door open so you can see the thing cooking. Not saying it won't work, but there could be problems. Or maybe you use it exclusively to cook other things rather than pizza.
Reducing the air from front of the door and/or closing partially a damper will help with loading.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 PM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 4,841
Default Re: External Firebox

That could simply result in producing a lot of smoke. I'm not saying your idea is no good, on the contrary I think you should try it, but maybe on a small scale with materials that can be reused, to prove its viability.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 AM
dimitrisbizakis's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 132
Default Re: External Firebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
That could simply result in producing a lot of smoke. I'm not saying your idea is no good, on the contrary I think you should try it, but maybe on a small scale with materials that can be reused, to prove its viability.
David i didn't say i'll close compenlty the air, redusing the air until a small flame is on, i have a high efficiancy fireplace that works that way, you sure are right about small scaling the whole project, actually i will make a solidworks model and simulate the whole think before even try it at a small scale.
The materials i'll use for the small scale is Cob as a firebox, two wall tubes and a 2cm stainless steel cut at the right size for fitting to my door.
Let's not forget that many ovens has firebox to the one side of the door and the chimney to the other.I really don't see any reason that this should not work but sometimes we miss things that are pretty obvious!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External temp of the oven djbourn Introductions 3 02-19-2013 10:40 PM
Heat radiation from external wall of Dome?? Bert Pompeii Oven Construction 17 04-11-2011 07:36 PM
Stud framing and external walls kebwi Tools, Tips and Techniques 6 11-21-2009 07:46 PM
HF tile/brick saw, pump in external reservoir kebwi Tools, Tips and Techniques 13 10-27-2009 05:02 PM
Firebox Dreaming in Atlanta CaptSammy Introductions 6 06-26-2008 05:33 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC