Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Completed Cast Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackFire View Post
Sounds good, but I don't know what fibre mill board is. Would that be something like concert backer board?
Mill board is an insulator used in the refractory industry, don't know what concert backer board is. Some folk report success with aerated concrete, but it didn't work for me, just cracked in the middle.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the help David. I found the fiber mill board on line. I will try to find some locally. When I put the ceramic blanket on the oven do I put it on the side walls as well or is it mean primarily for the roof?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
When I put the ceramic blanket on the oven do I put it on the side walls as well or is it mean primarily for the roof?
Cover the whole dome sides and walls.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Laborer

I used batts of fireproof insulation I found at a local builders supply. It is rated to 2,500 degrees and in the demos they show it in direct contact with a flame for 60 minutes and it still holds up. I used the batts, bent some wire to hold it in contact with the dome, then filled everything in with vermiculite.

Check the pics on my build post. It seems to be doing just fine. Even after my "too hot" cook on Sunday. Got a little overzealous when adding wood and had the oven floor at 950 degrees. Which, in case you are interested, burns the pizzas in less than 10 seconds. So as a pizza amateur, I will have to give my bit of hard earned knowledge, 950 is too hot to cook pizzas!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Old Italian trick- cast some semolina into the middle of the floor after you've blown or swept the ash away. It should turn black in 3 secs. 2 secs= too hot, 4 secs = not hot enough. If it is too hot I place the first pizza closer to the oven opening where it will be cooler.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Peasant

Good Information. I picked up some of the ceramic insulation today from a local supplier this morning on my way home from work. The gave me their ends for nothing. The legnths were 15, 6, 4 and 4 foot. The stuff they gave me was 2 inches thick instead of the 1 inch (they did not have any scrapes of it laying around).

Can I use the 2 inch thick insualtion or do I need to peel it apart and make it 1 inch?

I was surprised how heavy the ceramic insulation was over regular house insulation.

If the weather cooperates I plan on installing the insulation today and then cover it with the 4 inches of vermiculite and Portland, 10:1 ratio as suggested by David.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Can I use the 2 inch thick insualtion or do I need to peel it apart and make it 1 inch?
2" is good, more is better. Don't know if the length you have is enough to cover your oven and entryway.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you go thicker with the blanket then you can go thinner with the vermicrete.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Laborer

...but a thinner blanket is easier to drape over the dome (it conforms to the curve better).

Quote:
I can purchase some stuff locally called "woolaroc" and use it.
Sounds like what we call "rock wool", fibers spun from molten basalt. I was going to try it, even bought a bundle from an industrial insulation supplier, but it was too stiff to bend over my dome (2-inch bats, high density). I sold it to another builder, who was doing a barrel vault build and could run the bats down the length of the oven. I think the low-density residential stuff (often sold as sound dampening and fire stop) could work, but there might be nasty smells as the binder burns off in the first couple of fires. I ended up using multiple layers of 1-inch ceramic blanket, and was very happy with the ease of application. If you've got 2" for free, I'm sure you can make it work.