Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

View Poll Results: disregard poll
a 1 100.00%
b 0 0%
c 0 0%
d 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cob Oven Build

Hi Mark

I just posted an answer to your question on my profile thingy...

Your oven looks great, really tidy looking mud oven! And the pizza looks yummy pizza too, congratulations! What are you going to use for insulation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Hi Mark

I just posted an answer to your question on my profile thingy...

Your oven looks great, really tidy looking mud oven! And the pizza looks yummy pizza too, congratulations! What are you going to use for insulation?
Hey Frances; Thanks for sending me a link to your oven pictures; your oven truely is work of art!
I'm going to use 4" of vermiculite/concrete mix over the dome for insulation. I used a 5 to 1 ratio under the hearth. I formed a test area of 3" on the dome and after 1 hour of full firing it was about 100 F. I think 4" will perform well for my needs and then a final layer of rendering for protection/cosmetic detail.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Serf

That thing looks great! Any update? New pics? I am going to try and do an earth/cob oven soon and am trying to figure out the best mix of clay/sand. Where did you get your clay from? Was it commercial or just out of the ground?

Joe

Last edited by SloW8; 05-27-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloW8 View Post
I am going to try and do an eath/cob oven soon and am trying to figure out the best mix of clay/sand. Where did you get your clay from? Was it commercial or just out of the ground?
Joe
Joe, FWIW I'm also just completing a cob oven build. I used commercial "ball clay", which is a very fine powder. The mix was equal parts clay, sand, crusher dust, with some portland cement added. I think the amount of clay could have been reduced even further to reduce cracking, although the cracks haven't been too bad.

The essential thing is to add fibres (aka "fibers"). I used quite a bit of natural rope chopped up; traditionally straw is used. Either way, make sure you have something in there!

Also consider a design with a chimney situated outside of the door/opening.

Cheers,
Mick

Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Peasant

Hey Joe, Thanks for the reply. I drove some back roads and found a dark red spot where the road crew had dug through a hill. Clay is pretty common here in fayetteville NC. My mix was 1 part clay, 1 part sand mix from lowes and 1 part reddish sand 1.5 feet down in my back yard. I also purchased wheat straw from lowes and shred it by hand and added it to the mix.

There is a thread on here from a guy in hendersonville nc where he first made cob bricks and then built his oven. I think this will work well or you can do wet bricks like I did or probably just lay it on thick around a sand mold core & make sure there are no air gaps.

You may want to experiment first with a very small oven just to see how you like your mixture etc. Some even make a very small test one that you could bake a muffin in as a test.

Be prepared for cracks with a cob oven. eventually I will make a larger firebrick oven when I get time. Have fun!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Peasant

Mark,
what a great job! my visionof cob ovens is mud piles with burn marks on them. yours looks like a piece of pottery. nice job.
Steve

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Peasant

Thanks, It looked even better until the cracks formed! (as they will!)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Apprentice

Nice work all around, that does look like a fun project to try. Little boys playing in the mud, some things never change.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Peasant

mn8tr: Amen!! no better stress relief than to get dirty!! I saw your build; looks nice. Did you design it or use some plans? I was wondering if your bricks in the dome are larger than most builds? The larger bricks would expedite building. Did you cut the dome bricks at angles to reduce the cement gap or just go with it? any problems after firing. It really looks good: I want to do permanent build with firebricks and I like your design: any drawings or schematics you could post, etc??

Separtely, the pool and hot tub are a nice addition to the oven!

Thanks, Mark Lewis
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Serf

are you still using the cob oven. how has it held up? did you ever finish the outside?