Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Clay Oven on Verandah

I have to agree. One of the links in Neil's suggested search is:

http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/blo...deck-collapse/

Lots of scary pictures. It seems that people are killed every year in deck failures.

The safe method is to build from proper footings on the ground next to the deck. I know it's a lot of masonry, but haven't you always wanted a brick garden shed?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"The safe method is to build from proper footings on the ground next to the deck. I know it's a lot of masonry, but haven't you always wanted a brick garden shed?"

And you will still have the use of that part of the deck that would be taken up by the oven.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"It seems that people are killed every year in deck failures."

Decks are not built to the same loading standard as inside floors and the connections are exposed to the weather and thus deteriorate with time. Worst still, many decks are built by homeowners with no building permit, therefore no inspection, therefore an accident (and lawsuit) waiting to happen.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Lots of scary pictures
You got that right!

But in this case, I'm increasingly confident it's OK based on the structure of the deck and the forecast weight of the oven.

The weight of the oven should not be more than the weight of 4 or 5 adults. My oven will be a slightly-larger version of this one (but with the chimney OUTSIDE the door); the dome will contain less than 150kg (300 lbs) of clay/sand, and I estimate a total weight of 350kg.

The thing about all of the decks in those pictures is they were attached to the back of the house. My deck isn't at all like that - the joists come right through from the house, and the back wall of the house sits on the same joists. I really can't see that 350kg of oven should be a concern on there.

Cheers,
Mick
Old 05-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
Decks are not built to the same loading standard as inside floors and the connections are exposed to the weather and thus deteriorate with time.
That's probably my biggest concern with it, actually.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hmm, just a thought but you might want to seal the deck if it's due before you start the oven. That will protect the underneath until enclosed and hopefully keep you from enclosing wet boards - which would be a very bad thing.

Then again, I imagine that depends on the climate in Brisbane - if it's dry there shouldn't be a problem. Here in Alabama there's no such thing as a 'dry' day - high humidity, anyone?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Apprentice

Default Tiling Complete

I got the tiling finished - these are the free charcoal-coloured glazed porcelain tiles that were left in our shed. The "French Vanilla" grout goes well with them - not finished cleaning them up yet.

Also mortared the row of pavers and grouted the hearth pavers with fire mortar. The 1kg (2 lb) tub was just enough to do the whole lot.

Next weekend we begin on the dome - will be mixing clay, sand and crusher dust and forming it over a sand mound which will be removed through the door opening afterwards.

Cheers,
Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Clay Oven on Verandah-tiling-complete.jpg   Clay Oven on Verandah-pavers-mortared.jpg   Clay Oven on Verandah-pavers-closeup.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is all a matter of how much weight is going to be on your deck. My oven is 250 Kgs because it is small and therefore ok to put on a deck. You guys are thinking that all ovens weigh tons.250 kgs would be the equivalent of four big guys standing together on the deck having a quiet drink.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Apprentice

Default Clay Dome Formed

We formed up the clay dome on Saturday:

- Formed up the archway with an MDF tunnel and lots of foam boxes and sand to form the dome.
- 1:1:1 dry mix of ball clay, brickies sand, crusher dust. Added quite a bit of natural rope fibers, small amount of Portland cement. Didn't make it wet enough for first layer, but the second and third were good.
- Used less clay than expected; only used 1 bag (25kg).
- Removed the flue pipe for now, just so I can keep a tarp over it - rain expected this week.

Very happy with the results - so far it's taken 4 weekends to get to here.
Attached Thumbnails
Clay Oven on Verandah-forming-up.jpg   Clay Oven on Verandah-sand-form.jpg   Clay Oven on Verandah-hands-clay.jpg   Clay Oven on Verandah-third-layer.jpg  
Old 05-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Peasant

250 kgs = 550 lbs